2nd surge protector?

Old June 24th 03, 11:02 AM
Manny

Default 2nd surge protector?

w_tom wrote in message ...

One function often missing is filtering so that AC noise
does not adversely affect computer. Why install filtering
when specification are not even provided that say filtering
exists?

Specifications are always provided, but true specifications are
less common. Every ATX power supply spec sheet I've seen said
that the product had an AC noise filter and was protected against
excessive current and voltage, but some of the supplies would
jam AM radio reception (circuit board was empty where the filter
components would normally go) or be damaged by shorts. In fact,
all 5 power supplies damaged in tests by www.tomshardware.com
and www.silentpcreview.com were claimed by their manufacturers
to possess overload protection, and those products were much
more expensive than average.
Old June 29th 03, 07:16 PM
alvin york

"Developwebsites" wrote in message
the button on my PC and monitor is always on,
I turn on/off the surge protector instead, is that safe?
sometimes the PC freezes, it happens often when the lamp
which is also plugged into the sp is turned on.
it would appear there is too much juice drain to get the PC going.

for extra protection can I plug one surge protector
into the 1st one and plug PC into 2nd one?
the light on my sp always blinks, what does that mean?
also, is it safe to use a PC plugged into a sp when there
is lightning or should it be turned off anyway? should all appliances
be turned off as well?(TV, stereo, fridge)

I live in Tampa, Florida, USA, which is part of an extreme lightning belt
extending through Lakeland over to Daytona Beach.

I connect all PC's through Surge Protectors, BUT when thunderstorms develop
I always turn off the computer and the surge protector.

My modem connection passes through the surge protector.

If the SP plug connection to the wall were more readily accessible I would
pull that plug as well.

Ditto re phone/modem connection to phone wall outlet.

We have two extension phones not involved with a PC or a modem, We also stay
off these telephones until storm passes.

Have lived here 52 years in same house. Local power company supply lines
are Overhead on wood poles. Top wire is a bare neutral, connected to a
copper cap atop each pole. Each cap is connected by a solid copper ground
wire to a copperweld ground rod at the foot of each pole.

Where our overhead Service Entrance conductors enter the house the neutral
is grounded to a ground rod.

I believe this gives us very good protection against lightning surges. We
do not disconnect TV's, the Central AC/H unit or any appliances. We have
never lost any of these due to lightning. They have died from old age after
20 to 30 years.

So consider your own location, power supply ( Overhead? Underground?). ditto
phone lines?

Urban location? Rural location?

Plug the lamp into a different wall outlet, never into SP for PC.

If the light on the SP blinks continuously it could be failing.