Compaq Presario hard drive

Old August 30th 03, 10:39 PM
wazaman59

Default Compaq Presario hard drive

I have a Compaq Presario that has fried hard drive.
I purchased a 40 Gig hard drive with a RPM of 5,600.
According to Compaq, the BIOS has a capability of reading up to an 80 Gig
hard drive at 5,400 RPM.
I have installed it and have made sure that it is connected
to the #1 IDE motherboard connection.
When I go to set up, the system won't recognize a fixed drive at all.
Any ideas?

Old August 31st 03, 02:58 AM
S.Heenan

wazaman59 wrote:
I have a Compaq Presario that has fried hard drive.
I purchased a 40 Gig hard drive with a RPM of 5,600.
According to Compaq, the BIOS has a capability of reading up to an 80
Gig hard drive at 5,400 RPM.
I have installed it and have made sure that it is connected
to the #1 IDE motherboard connection.
When I go to set up, the system won't recognize a fixed drive at all.
Any ideas?

Is the hard drive the only device on the cable ? Is it jumpered as master
and plcaed on the end of the ribbon ? If it's a Western Digital and the only
device on the primary IDE channel, you will need to remove the jumper on the
hard drive in most cases.
--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated

Old August 31st 03, 03:26 AM
wazaman59

Yes, it is the only device on the cable. I have the jumpers set as master.
Even though it isn't a Western Digital drive, that is still a good idea
about leaving the jumper off and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

"S.Heenan" wrote in message
. ca...

Old August 31st 03, 03:30 AM
ByTor

In article , wazaman59
@netzero.com, wazaman59 says...

Yes, it is the only device on the cable. I have the jumpers set as master.
Even though it isn't a Western Digital drive, that is still a good idea
about leaving the jumper off and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Ya may also want to try "cable select" for your pin setting. I have an
older Comcrap that will only see a drive that way....it's very
strange..... ;0)
Old August 31st 03, 05:30 PM
WebWalker

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:39:52 -0500, "wazaman59"
wrote:

I have a Compaq Presario that has fried hard drive.
I purchased a 40 Gig hard drive with a RPM of 5,600.
According to Compaq, the BIOS has a capability of reading up to an 80 Gig
hard drive at 5,400 RPM.
I have installed it and have made sure that it is connected
to the #1 IDE motherboard connection.
When I go to set up, the system won't recognize a fixed drive at all.
Any ideas?

Did you set the HD's jumper correctly like putting it as "master" drive?
Can you go to the Bios and set it to "Auto-detect" the new drive?
Are you using any boot disk while booting up?

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279
Old September 2nd 03, 03:11 PM
rcm

How do you know the old hard drive is fried? Maybe the IDE on the
motherboard is fried and that is why you can't use the new hard drive???
Test the old drive on another machine.

Also you said you connected to IDE #1, most computers use IDE #0. But I
have seen computers with IDE 1 and IDE 2 instead of 0 and 1. You should
just use the lower numbered one.

What brand of hard drive?

How was your old hard drive set up? Maser / Slave setup or Cable Select.
You should set it the same way. You should put it on the same position on
the cable too as it determines master and slave in Cable Select mode. If
you are not sure if Cable select was used (Compaq uses it), check the CD-ROM
setting.

Be careful about jumper settings if using master and slave. Some drives use
master to master with a slave and not to mean a single drive with no master.
There is a different jumper for a single drive..