Athlon 64 Mobile or Athlon 64 for Notebooks

Old January 15th 05, 10:40 PM
Antonio D'Ambrosio

Default Athlon 64 Mobile or Athlon 64 for Notebooks

Hi all,
I am a newbe to AMD processor. I don't understand
the difference beetwen these two kind of processor:

Mobile AMD Athlon 64
AMD Athlon 64 for Notebooks

Can somebody help me ? Thank you in advance

Old January 16th 05, 10:21 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:40:28 +0000, Antonio D'Ambrosio wrote:

I am a newbe to AMD processor. I don't understand
the difference beetwen these two kind of processor:

Mobile AMD Athlon 64
AMD Athlon 64 for Notebooks

Can somebody help me ? Thank you in advance

It appears to be the same. No difference, just a play on how they
are presented, since the mobile A64 is for notebooks.

Old January 16th 05, 04:31 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:21:06 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:40:28 +0000, Antonio D'Ambrosio wrote:

I am a newbe to AMD processor. I don't understand
the difference beetwen these two kind of processor:

Mobile AMD Athlon 64
AMD Athlon 64 for Notebooks

Can somebody help me ? Thank you in advance

It appears to be the same. No difference, just a play on how they
are presented, since the mobile A64 is for notebooks.

I'm pretty sure that the mobile part is an underclocked desktop part. If
you take a faster part and run it at a slower speed then you can drop the
core voltage. Power consumption is based on a square of the voltage so a
small drop in voltage can result in a significant reduction of power. If
you take a 3700+ and sell it as a 3200+, that part can run at a lower
voltage and than a part that just makes the 3200+ speed. So marking a
faster part with a slower number allows you to call that part a mobile
processor even though it's no different that the desktop part.
Old January 16th 05, 11:11 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:31:38 -0500, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

[...]

They are the same core, but the mobile part is packaged different. it
doesn't have a heat spreader/protector. While the spreader does protect
the core, it actually reduces heat transfer simply because of the extra
layer of material between the actual core and cpu cooler. None of the K7
line had heat spreaders, so basically the mobile and desktop cpu's were
pysically the same. Not so with the K8's.Tthere's photos of the two at
newegg.com.

Mobile athlon onto normal board Gareth Tuckwell General 5 October 18th 04 06:31 PM
Compatibility question, Mobile Athlon XP 2400+ and Albatron motherboard Y2Bogus AMD x86-64 Processors 0 September 19th 04 10:53 PM
OC old mobile Athlon?? TANKIE General 2 June 27th 04 08:54 AM
Athlon 64 Mobile? johny AMD x86-64 Processors 0 June 18th 04 08:28 AM
Slowest Athlon 64 humbles fastest P4 in gaming Tone-EQ Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 15th 03 05:09 PM