Power supply Recommendation

Old August 2nd 04, 07:45 AM
Wad

Default Power supply Recommendation

Hi Yall,

Here is the system I am assembling:

Athlon 64 3000
Abit KV8 Pro
Samsung 512 MB PC 3200
WD 1600JD(160G/7200/8M/SATA)
Lite-on DVD-R/RW SOHW-812S
Gigabyte 9600XT
LG FLATRON L1720P
Either Antec 420w or 480w True Blue

Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?

Wad

Old August 2nd 04, 08:50 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 15:45:08 +0900, Wad wrote:

Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?

My old 400W wouldn't run my A64 3000+ system. Works fine on my older XP
system. I tried 500W, 550W, and 600W cheap ones ($12-$24) and they all
worked stable.

Old August 2nd 04, 06:07 PM
Derek Baker

Wad wrote:
Hi Yall,

Here is the system I am assembling:

Athlon 64 3000
Abit KV8 Pro
Samsung 512 MB PC 3200
WD 1600JD(160G/7200/8M/SATA)
Lite-on DVD-R/RW SOHW-812S
Gigabyte 9600XT
LG FLATRON L1720P
Either Antec 420w or 480w True Blue

Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?

Wad

Maybe not, but you can never have too much power. Is there that much of a
price difference between the 430 and 480?

--
Derek

Old August 2nd 04, 07:42 PM
Andreas Kaiser

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 07:50:25 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?

My old 400W wouldn't run my A64 3000+ system. Works fine on my older XP
system. I tried 500W, 550W, and 600W cheap ones ($12-$24) and they all
worked stable.

There's more that simple Watt numbers. I'm using a very solid
Dual-Opteron Workstation having just a 400W power supply.

Gruss, Andreas
Old August 2nd 04, 11:38 PM
Wes Newell

wrote:

Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?

My old 400W wouldn't run my A64 3000+ system. Works fine on my older XP
system. I tried 500W, 550W, and 600W cheap ones ($12-$24) and they all
worked stable.

There's more that simple Watt numbers.

Not really, except on which rails the wattage is provided.

I'm using a very solid Dual-Opteron Workstation having just a 400W power
supply.

And it's obviously a good one for your MB with enough wattage on each rail
for it to function properly. I have seen even larger PSU's that don't
provide enough wattage on the +12v rail that might have problems though.

Old August 3rd 04, 12:15 AM
Jason Cothran

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.08.02.22.41.14.872963@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
| On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 20:42:18 +0200, Andreas Kaiser wrote:
|
| On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 07:50:25 GMT, Wes Newell
| wrote:
|
| Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?
|
| My old 400W wouldn't run my A64 3000+ system. Works fine on my older XP
| system. I tried 500W, 550W, and 600W cheap ones ($12-$24) and they all
| worked stable.
|
| There's more that simple Watt numbers.
|
| Not really, except on which rails the wattage is provided.
|
| I'm using a very solid Dual-Opteron Workstation having just a 400W power
| supply.
|
| And it's obviously a good one for your MB with enough wattage on each rail
| for it to function properly. I have seen even larger PSU's that don't
| provide enough wattage on the +12v rail that might have problems though.

I'm running a 350w on a A64 with no problems. 2 optical drives, 2 SATA
drives, 9800 pro, yadda yadda yadda.

Old August 3rd 04, 03:16 AM
Stephen Tomaszewski

The setup that I have is Rock stable but cannot get floppy controller to
work, think I may have to send board in on a RMA since I have tried
different cables, floppys, just built this rig last week and it handles all
the games and applications like a champ.Very stable and overclocked pretty
well....
Steve T
Gigabyte K8NS-Pro
AMD 64 3000+ @ 2.2 = 3200+ w/stock cooling
Mushkin Green PC3200 512 Meg X 2= 1Gig
Antec Sonata 380 Watt PS
2X Maxtor 40 Gig PATA 133
Emprex 4X DVD RW CDRW
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Meg

"Ed" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 15:45:08 +0900, Wad wrote:

Hi Yall,

Here is the system I am assembling:

Athlon 64 3000
Abit KV8 Pro
Samsung 512 MB PC 3200
WD 1600JD(160G/7200/8M/SATA)
Lite-on DVD-R/RW SOHW-812S
Gigabyte 9600XT
LG FLATRON L1720P
Either Antec 420w or 480w True Blue

Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w?

Wad

No need for the 480W I'd go for the 420 unless the 480 was only $2 more.
;p

FWIW, I built this for a friend about 4 months ago, it's been running
rock solid since day one.

Antec Sonata case w/380W
Athlon 64 3000+
AMD64 HS/fan (only 21db) $7 @ newegg
MSI Neo (754)
1GB Mushkin 2x512 PC3500
2 - WD 160GB (SATA) drives
8x DVD-RW
52X CDRW
ATI 9800 Pro 128M
AUDIGY 2Z
etc,etc......

hth,
Ed

Old August 3rd 04, 04:03 AM
RonK

Make sure the floppy is detected in the bios settings, Does the floppy
light stay on all the time ?

Old August 4th 04, 01:08 AM
Cuzman

"Wad" wrote in message

" Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w? "

You should be OK with the Antec True-Blue 420W, but you may also have to
measure the choice with upgrading in mind.

Without changing the motherboard, you could upgrade to an Athlon64 3700+, 2x
1GB DDR RAM, and a much more powerful graphics card, perhaps one that hasn't
yet been released. You will probably need more than 420W with a setup like
that, so you'll then need to buy a more-powerful PSU.

Will it cost you more in the long-run if you only buy a 420W now? Perhaps
so.

Old August 4th 04, 10:05 PM
Derek Baker

Cuzman wrote:
"Wad" wrote in message

" Which PSU would you recommend? Do I really need 480w? "

You should be OK with the Antec True-Blue 420W, but you may also have
to measure the choice with upgrading in mind.

Without changing the motherboard, you could upgrade to an Athlon64
3700+, 2x 1GB DDR RAM, and a much more powerful graphics card,
perhaps one that hasn't yet been released. You will probably need
more than 420W with a setup like that, so you'll then need to buy a
more-powerful PSU.

Will it cost you more in the long-run if you only buy a 420W now?
Perhaps so.

I was considering the True Power 480, but today went for the 550. It was
only ?10 more.

--
Derek