PC Mall Athlon 64

Old August 12th 04, 01:14 AM
Eric Fagan

Default PC Mall Athlon 64

PC Mall is selling an Athlon64 system for $1,199 (Cybertron #443255 page 75)
Has anyone here purchased this PC or do you all build your own systems?
Is it any good? Who manufactures the motherboard? I called the 800 number to
ask
but the lady who answered didn't know what a motherboard was.

Thanks..

Old August 12th 04, 05:55 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:14:24 -0700, Eric Fagan wrote:

PC Mall is selling an Athlon64 system for $1,199 (Cybertron #443255 page 75)
Has anyone here purchased this PC or do you all build your own systems?
Is it any good? Who manufactures the motherboard? I called the 800 number to
ask
but the lady who answered didn't know what a motherboard was.

I would never, and I repeat never, buy a PC that didn't list the major
components. But then again, I always build my own.

Old August 12th 04, 07:40 AM
Eric Fagan

"Eric Fagan" wrote in message
| PC Mall is selling an Athlon64 system for $1,199 (Cybertron #443255 page 75)
| Has anyone here purchased this PC or do you all build your own systems?
| Is it any good? Who manufactures the motherboard? I called the 800 number to
| ask
| but the lady who answered didn't know what a motherboard was.
|
| Thanks..

I found the URL for the system and the motherboard is a MSI K8T NEO-FSR

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...sp?dpno=443255

Old August 12th 04, 01:32 PM
Jason Cothran

"Eric Fagan" wrote in message
| PC Mall is selling an Athlon64 system for $1,199 (Cybertron #443255 page
75)
| Has anyone here purchased this PC or do you all build your own systems?
| Is it any good? Who manufactures the motherboard? I called the 800 number
| ask
| but the lady who answered didn't know what a motherboard was.

It is clearly listed on their site as an MSI board. And yes I build my own
systems . FWIW, the price looks a bit high to me for what's in it. I spent
a couple minutes configuring that exact system at newegg and it came to
about $830. Find someone local that custom builds systems and you should be
able to get one like it for cheaper.

Old August 12th 04, 04:44 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:40:40 -0700, Eric Fagan wrote:

| PC Mall is selling an Athlon64 system for $1,199 (Cybertron #443255 page 75)
| Has anyone here purchased this PC or do you all build your own systems?
| Is it any good? Who manufactures the motherboard? I called the 800 number to
| ask
| but the lady who answered didn't know what a motherboard was.

I found the URL for the system and the motherboard is a MSI K8T NEO-FSR

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...sp?dpno=443255

You can build this (with better components) for about $600, not to mention
that it only comes with PC2700 ram and it should have PC3200 Minimum. In
short, run. It's not a good buy.

Old August 12th 04, 08:09 PM
rstlne

"Jason Cothran" wrote in message

"Eric Fagan" wrote in message
| PC Mall is selling an Athlon64 system for $1,199 (Cybertron #443255 page
75)
| Has anyone here purchased this PC or do you all build your own systems?
| Is it any good? Who manufactures the motherboard? I called the 800

number
| ask
| but the lady who answered didn't know what a motherboard was.

It is clearly listed on their site as an MSI board. And yes I build my own
systems . FWIW, the price looks a bit high to me for what's in it. I

spent
a couple minutes configuring that exact system at newegg and it came to
about $830. Find someone local that custom builds systems and you should

be
able to get one like it for cheaper.

The thing most people forget to add in is the 100$ (or so) for the OS and
then the time that the other company has spent installing the OS and
Software..

If your on a dialup connection then it's probably worth the extra money as
you'll probably be online for about 3 months to JUST get the inital service
packs .

Old August 13th 04, 01:53 PM
Jason Cothran

"rstlne" wrote in message

| "Jason Cothran" wrote in message
|
| "Eric Fagan" wrote in message
| | PC Mall is selling an Athlon64 system for $1,199 (Cybertron #443255
page
| 75)
| | Has anyone here purchased this PC or do you all build your own
systems?
| | Is it any good? Who manufactures the motherboard? I called the 800
| number
| | ask
| | but the lady who answered didn't know what a motherboard was.
| |

| It is clearly listed on their site as an MSI board. And yes I build my
own
| systems . FWIW, the price looks a bit high to me for what's in it. I
| spent
| a couple minutes configuring that exact system at newegg and it came to
| about $830. Find someone local that custom builds systems and you should
| be
| able to get one like it for cheaper.
|

| The thing most people forget to add in is the 100$ (or so) for the OS and
| then the time that the other company has spent installing the OS and
| Software..

Actually I included the OS in that price. I saved it to a wish list on new
egg. It actaully came to about 850 instead of 830 after I found they did in
fact cary the exact same case. The computer was identical, except perhaps
drive brand since that wasn't listed. All other components/ brands/ models
were the same. 30 minutes installing an OS is definately not worth $350. I
wouldn't be broke if I tried to charge people that much for an OS install
and system assembly.

| If your on a dialup connection then it's probably worth the extra money as
| you'll probably be online for about 3 months to JUST get the inital
service
| packs .

Slipstream service pack 2 ... There are a grand total of 3 small updates
(one of which is just NET) when installing XP with SP2 slipstreamed.

Old August 14th 04, 09:02 PM
Carlo Razzeto

Yeah, it's a "gamer system" yet it has all the wrong componets for gaming...
Gefore FX 5200 (256MB but who cares... GPU is too slow) 512MB 333MHz memory?
For modern gaming 1GB 400MHz would be much better.. Not a horrible system to
be sure... But some how I think the marketing is off

Carlo