KV8-MAX3 with VIA 8237 SATA and WinXP x64

Old August 21st 04, 12:00 PM
JasonB

Default KV8-MAX3 with VIA 8237 SATA and WinXP x64

This went into the alt.comp.mainboards.abit group to earlier today but I
figured it was worth posting here as well.

Has anyone actually managed to use the Via 8237 SATA driver to
successfully install WinXP64 on a SATA disk? I've created a SATA driver
disk using the instructions provided on a number of websites and I've
also tried integrating the drivers onto a new custom setup CD.

I have a Abit KV8-MAX3, with a Samsung 160GB SATA drive, a Sony DVD-RW
drive and I'm using a Sony USB floppy drive. When I boot with the XP64
CD in the DVD Drive, I get to the F6 stage to install a 3rd party
storage driver and setup reads the floppy, installs the RAID Driver and
eventually gets to the stage where the partition table is displayed and
you select where you want to install XP.

Just after I select where to install and setup begins the file copy
process it then asks for the SATA driver disk on Drive A: and will not
move forward from that point. I end up having to reboot the PC.

If I install from the custom integrated setup CD it all goes smoothly
until the file copy process as above where it then stops and asks for
the SATA Driver disk again.

Anyone else experience this?
--
JasonB

To reply, replace nospam4me with blueyonder
Old August 23rd 04, 10:31 PM
JasonB

JasonB wrote:
[...]

Gave up trying to get this to work on a SATA drive. Ended up installing
a Maxtor ATA 133 80GB drive as the primary on IDE2. Have now got
WinXP64 installed and can boot ok.

First impressions are that it does seem to be quicker then WinXP32
however I don't have all of the applications installed that I would
normally use, so this is pretty subjective at the moment.

Also I don't have internet connectivity on WinXP64 because Netgear, damn
them, won't release a set of 64bit drivers for the WG311 PCI Wireless
NIC. It's based on the Orinocho chipset which has great support for
mainstream Windows Versions but sod all for WinXP64.

Only other niggle I have is that to boot the WInXP64 drive I have to
swap the controllers around in the BIOS. For some reason, even though
I have WinXP32 installed on a SATA drive it refuses to boot the WinXP64
Partition until the IDE controller is first in the list instead of the
Bootable Add-in Card option.