linux 64bit OS again

Old July 6th 04, 04:51 AM
XS11E

Steven Kinch wrote in
news
Name me one O/S where all hardware works 100% and I will buy it

That would probably be Mandrake 10. No need to buy. Just
download.

I'm running Mandrake 10 64bit RC1. I downloaded the ISOs so it cost
only three blank CDs. It installed all my hardware except I had to
manually install my Canon S900 Photo printer, there was no driver so I
chose the S800, set resolution to 800x800 and everything works fine. I
also had to manually configure my Microtek scanner, Mandrake had
drivers for an almost identical model and it also works fine. No other
hardware required any tweaking except screen resolution and that was
easy once I found out how to do it.

Install time was less than 1/2 of the time to install XP32bit or
XP64bit or Longhorn whoknowswhatbit, none of which could install the
Canon Photoprinter, Microtek scanner OR my NIC, sound card or chipset
drivers.

It seems to me that Mandrake comes out ahead of Windows in installing
hardware.

I also tried SuSE and RedHat (actually Fedora project) 64 bit editions,
neither of which installed hardware nearly as well as Mandrake so if
you have hardware install problems, just try another disto....

Old July 6th 04, 05:06 AM
Pseudo Namen

"XS11E" wrote in message
[...]

The only problems I have with Mandrake 10 64bit for the AMD, is that is only
out for the Silver members. Plus, there is no support for it even then.

Mandrake is the best distro of Linux, but it doesn't take the place of
Windows for an ATI 9600XT or X800 online gaming system. There are so many
games written for the Windows Platform, and very few have been ported to
Linux.

And until Linux becomes completely point and click, it is not a viable OS
for the masses.

Old July 6th 04, 05:30 AM
XS11E

"Pseudo Namen" wrote in
:

The only problems I have with Mandrake 10 64bit for the AMD, is
that is only out for the Silver members. Plus, there is no support
for it even then.

I'm not a member of the club but the RC1 version is available to
everyone and it works.

Mandrake is the best distro of Linux, but it doesn't take the
place of Windows for an ATI 9600XT or X800 online gaming system.

I know nothing about gaming.

Old July 6th 04, 06:01 AM
Pseudo Namen

"XS11E" wrote in message
"Pseudo Namen" wrote in
:

The only problems I have with Mandrake 10 64bit for the AMD, is
that is only out for the Silver members. Plus, there is no support
for it even then.

I'm not a member of the club but the RC1 version is available to
everyone and it works.

Mandrake is the best distro of Linux, but it doesn't take the
place of Windows for an ATI 9600XT or X800 online gaming system.

I know nothing about gaming.

I have Mandrake version 10 RC1, but I want the final release (you have to be
a silver member or greater to get that. I am a standard member. )
Gaming is so fun. I love Warcraft 3, Diblo 2, Deus Ex, The Sims, Simcity 4,
C&C Generals, etc.... The list is very large. )

Old July 6th 04, 07:05 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:06:38 -0500, Pseudo Namen wrote:

And until Linux becomes completely point and click, it is not a viable OS
for the masses.

It's been a viable os for the masses for a few years now. First of the
masses don't have to install the OS. It comes preinstalled and completely
functionable. make all the people that buy pc's install windows and you'll
find that not many of the masses will be able to install it either. My
brother (one of the masses) has been using win for at least 12 years,
and couldn't reinstall win on his machine just the other day. But I'll
bet he could of gotten Linux installed (given the CD's) and he's never
even used it.

Old July 6th 04, 07:09 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 06:05:22 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:06:38 -0500, Pseudo Namen wrote:

And until Linux becomes completely point and click, it is not a viable OS
for the masses.

It's been a viable os for the masses for a few years now. First of the
masses don't have to install the OS. It comes preinstalled and completely
functionable. make all the people that buy pc's install windows and you'll
find that not many of the masses will be able to install it either. My
brother (one of the masses) has been using win for at least 12 years,
and couldn't reinstall win on his machine just the other day. But I'll
bet he could of gotten Linux installed (given the CD's) and he's never
even used it.

I just found this in the next NG.:-)

I just build a new PC, everything is blank right now.
After I use a Win98 bootdisk to get into DOS, then put my WinXP CD into
CD-ROM
when I start to run setup.exe from the WinXP CD
it says:"This program can only run in Windows environment"
How do you install WinXP onto a blank PC?

ps: I remember with Win2000, its CD offers an utility to create 4 floppy
disks
These disks can run from DOS environment.

I rest my case.:-)

Old July 6th 04, 01:07 PM
Post Replies Here Please

A very good point, and very true. Even if they can get windows
installed they cannot get the drivers working correctly. I have a
friend highly ****ed because he could not get more than 256 colors,
and he brought the driver CD! Whatever. I told him he could download
the drivers from the net, and he said "I don't know how to do that".
Since he lives 800 miles away, I could not help him out, but he got
the local tech at his workplace to finish the install. This is only
one example but the list is very long.

The point is clear it is about per-install vs. self install. I can
remember when windows 98 came out the recommendation at the time was
don't install it but buy a computer with it already installed.

Whatever.

"Wes" == Wes Newell writes:

Wes On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:06:38 -0500, Pseudo Namen wrote:
And until Linux becomes completely point and click, it is not a
viable OS for the masses.

Wes It's been a viable os for the masses for a few years now. First
Wes of the masses don't have to install the OS. It comes
Wes preinstalled and completely functionable. make all the people
Wes that buy pc's install windows and you'll find that not many of
Wes the masses will be able to install it either. My brother (one of
Wes the masses) has been using win for at least 12 years, and
Wes couldn't reinstall win on his machine just the other day. But
Wes I'll bet he could of gotten Linux installed (given the CD's) and
Wes he's never even used it.

Wes -- Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
Wes http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Old July 6th 04, 01:18 PM
Post Replies Here Please

"Wes" == Wes Newell writes:

Wes On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 06:05:22 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:06:38 -0500, Pseudo Namen wrote:
And until Linux becomes completely point and click, it is not a
viable OS for the masses.

It's been a viable os for the masses for a few years now. First
of the masses don't have to install the OS. It comes preinstalled
and completely functionable. make all the people that buy pc's
install windows and you'll find that not many of the masses will
be able to install it either. My brother (one of the masses) has
been using win for at least 12 years, and couldn't reinstall win
on his machine just the other day. But I'll bet he could of gotten
Linux installed (given the CD's) and he's never even used it.

Wes I just found this in the next NG.:-)

Wes I just build a new PC, everything is blank right now. After I
Wes use a Win98 bootdisk to get into DOS, then put my WinXP CD into
Wes CD-ROM when I start to run setup.exe from the WinXP CD it
Wes says:"This program can only run in Windows environment" How do
Wes you install WinXP onto a blank PC?

Wes ps: I remember with Win2000, its CD offers an utility to create
Wes 4 floppy disks These disks can run from DOS environment.

Wes I rest my case.:-)

Wes -- Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
Wes http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

You can download the program from M$ web site that will make the XP
install disks. I think it is six disks total. This is painful but it
works. Besides cutting the grass this is the only time my 19 year son
is useful. ;-)

Your point is very clear few folks have a clue, and actually the XP cd
should boot on most newer computers, but it may not.

I would never use Windows, but my job requires Windows 2000. I was
ordered by the management that I could not even connect to the network
with my Linux laptop. Apparently they have some type of network
software that can detect Linux computers and the tech will physically
disconnect your computer from the network. Then you will get a very
nasty e-mail or memo from the IT folks. Whatever again.

Found out the other day one of the techs at work was running Linux
without the adminstrations permission.

Whatever