Power Supply Update

Old May 5th 04, 09:22 PM
Craig Coope

Default Power Supply Update

In the recent thread by "Hop" I said that I emailed AMD and asked them if
the PSU I was supplied with when I bought my A64 3400+ was good enough to
run the system...It is a 340W PSU...

here is the reply....

"Dear Mr. Coope,

Thank you for your interest in the AMD range of products. A 340 W Power
Supply is definitely not sufficient for your system. You should change it in
any case, therefore I suggest you to take 450 W or above, to be sure you not
only have enogh now but as well a little reserve for any eventual future
upgrades.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me
again.

Best regards,

David Boizard

European Technical Services Centre
www.amd.com/eurosupport

France: 0800 908 621 (numéro vert)
Germany: +49 89 450 53199
Italy: 800 877 224
United Kingdom: +44 1276 803 299"

So looks like kicking up a stink is what I should do! p

Craig....

Old May 5th 04, 09:52 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 05 May 2004 21:22:49 +0100, Craig Coope wrote:

Thank you for your interest in the AMD range of products. A 340 W Power
Supply is definitely not sufficient for your system. You should change it in
any case, therefore I suggest you to take 450 W or above, to be sure you not
only have enogh now but as well a little reserve for any eventual future
upgrades.

www.amd.com/eurosupport

So looks like kicking up a stink is what I should do! p

Thanks for posting this. Now I don't feel so bad about my 400W not
working. Although I still think it was over rated.

Old May 6th 04, 01:07 AM
joe

On Wed, 05 May 2004 20:52:31 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

On Wed, 05 May 2004 21:22:49 +0100, Craig Coope wrote:

Thank you for your interest in the AMD range of products. A 340 W Power
Supply is definitely not sufficient for your system. You should change it in
any case, therefore I suggest you to take 450 W or above, to be sure you not
only have enogh now but as well a little reserve for any eventual future
upgrades.

www.amd.com/eurosupport

So looks like kicking up a stink is what I should do! p

Thanks for posting this. Now I don't feel so bad about my 400W not
working. Although I still think it was over rated.

The key is a strong +12volt supply. The higher the better. Think over
20A.

If you have a 800watt supply but it only has 14A on the 12volt line,
it's no good for these machines.