Athon 64 bit processor applications stability.

Old January 28th 05, 04:39 PM
S. Md. Kabeer Ahmed

Default Athon 64 bit processor applications stability.

I have heard some people say that windows xp and its applications might
not run on Athlon 64 bit processor. And even if Windows XP runs, its
not gauranteed that all the 32 bit applications installed on windows
will continue to run in the same manner with stability. Can someone
throw some light on this. I am planning to buy AMD 64 2800 with MSI
K8T800 motherboard. Planning to throw off my Pentium II processor and
its intel mother board.

Further, will linux and all its current applications continue to run
similar way on athlon 64 bit processor ?

Please let me know if AMD isnt another x86 architecture based processor
?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Ahmed.

Old January 28th 05, 05:07 PM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:39:55 -0800, S. Md. Kabeer Ahmed wrote:

I have heard some people say that windows xp and its applications might
not run on Athlon 64 bit processor. And even if Windows XP runs, its not
gauranteed that all the 32 bit applications installed on windows will
continue to run in the same manner with stability. Can someone throw some
light on this. I am planning to buy AMD 64 2800 with MSI K8T800
motherboard. Planning to throw off my Pentium II processor and its intel
mother board.

I think you've misunderstood some comments. They are talking about Windows
XP64 beta, not the current release of Win XP.

Further, will linux and all its current applications continue to run
similar way on athlon 64 bit processor ?

Of course. I'm running it right now.

Please let me know if AMD isnt another x86 architecture based processor
?

It is x86, with x86_64 extensions. I burned the original Win XP64 beta,
but never installed it, so I can't comment on where it's at. I really
don't know why I even dl'd it as I don't use Win much at all. The latest
Mnadrake for AMD 64 (10.1) is supposed to be real good. I don't know. I
tried 9.2 a while back and the base OS was fine, but at the time
(about a year ago) some of the 64 bit apps weren't up to par IMO. Haven't
tried it since.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Old January 29th 05, 10:14 AM

S. Md. Kabeer Ahmed wrote:
I have heard some people say that windows xp and its applications might
not run on Athlon 64 bit processor. And even if Windows XP runs, its
not gauranteed that all the 32 bit applications installed on windows
will continue to run in the same manner with stability. Can someone
throw some light on this. I am planning to buy AMD 64 2800 with MSI
K8T800 motherboard. Planning to throw off my Pentium II processor and
its intel mother board.

Further, will linux and all its current applications continue to run
similar way on athlon 64 bit processor ?

Please let me know if AMD isnt another x86 architecture based processor
?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Ahmed.

Windows XP runs all applications just fine with the Athlon 64 bit
processor. I'm running a K8T Neo motherboard from MSI and the system
runs great

The current beta candidate of Windows 64 bit is RC1 which seems to be
available to MSDN subscribers only and so far the platform is very
stable and I've not had any problems with it during my testing.

I've not heard anyone with significant problems with Linux running this
processor.

regards

Old January 29th 05, 02:03 PM
S. Md. Kabeer Ahmed

Thank you guys for all your replies.

I think I can purchase AMD 64 bit processor with the MSI K8T800 Neo
motherboard as I am now sure that:

1. Windows XP and all its applications like Office and other
applications will continue to run fine.
2. My Fedora Core 3 Linux distro will continue to run fine with all its
applications.

I will let you know when I am a part of this AMD family. Bored of this
Pentium and Intel

Ahmed.

Old January 31st 05, 11:43 AM
S. Md. Kabeer Ahmed

Hi All,

I have another question regarding the power supply for the AMD 64 bit
motherboard. People say that it should be 400W with +12V trail.( if i
remember what i have read on websites correct).

I understand the 400W part but what is the 12V trail or something like
that. What exactly are the specifications ? Can someone please
elaborate on this part too ?

Thanks in advance
Ahmed.

Old January 31st 05, 01:35 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 03:43:08 -0800, S. Md. Kabeer Ahmed wrote:

I have another question regarding the power supply for the AMD 64 bit
motherboard. People say that it should be 400W with +12V trail.( if i
remember what i have read on websites correct).

You've got it a little confused. It's the +12v rail, not trail, adn also
the 400W part was probably for the minimum overall wattage specification
but even AMD tech support has recommended a minimumof 475W overall spec.
Personally I'd buy the highest speced one available at a reasonable price,
but nothing less than 500W. The PSU puts out several different voltages
and any decent PSU (cheap or expensive) should list the amount of current
in amps that the psu will provide on each of these voltages. These
different voltages are referred to as rails. I've tested PSU's that state
as little as 18A for the +12v rail with success on an A64 system, but I'd
prefer something over 20A and my current PSU lists the +12v rail as 26A.
ANy PSU with an 18A or larger +12v rail will probably have more than
enough on the other major rails (+3.3v , +5v). Look at thre label on this
PSU to get an idea of what you should look for on the PSU you buy. Click
on label to enlarge.

http://store.mrtechus.com/60ulapatxcop.html

I wouldn't hesitate to use this one on any system, as I've been using a
very similar one for almost a year now, and expect it to last at least
several more years just like 100% of all the other cheap PSU's I've bought
for my systems have. I'll let you decide the pros and cons of spending $20
for a PSU vs. $120.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Old January 31st 05, 04:38 PM
S. Md. Kabeer Ahmed

Thanks Wes, I wasnt really aware of all these. I will look for similar
feature PSU in India and purchase it.

Thanks again,
Ahmed.

Old February 5th 05, 03:16 PM
NoneOfBusiness

On 29 Jan 2005 06:03:06 -0800, "S. Md. Kabeer Ahmed"
wrote:

Thank you guys for all your replies.

I think I can purchase AMD 64 bit processor with the MSI K8T800 Neo
motherboard as I am now sure that:

1. Windows XP and all its applications like Office and other
applications will continue to run fine.
2. My Fedora Core 3 Linux distro will continue to run fine with all its
applications.

I will let you know when I am a part of this AMD family. Bored of this
Pentium and Intel

Ahmed.

Athlon64 processors work great in WindowsXP. In fact i am running dual
opteron 242's with 2 gigs of ram dual booting between XPPro with SP2
and FedoraCore3 Linux X86-64 with no issues at all. The system is
stable as a rock with both OS's.

Do yourself a favor and make sure to get memory that has been
certified for the Motherboard you plan on buying and purchase a
quality, high power (450 watts +) PS. I recommend the Ultra 500w
(http://www.ultraproducts.com/) Modular supply. It is kick ass.

Old February 16th 05, 03:50 AM
swanduron

some IE's plugins can not run in 64bit IE,so,xp64 give you an 32bit IE....

stability problem OraceHorse General 1 December 13th 04 10:57 PM
Stability of PSU David Rasmussen General 6 November 6th 04 08:49 AM
using "under-clocked" RAM for stability? Simon General 8 September 1st 04 10:51 AM
Abit KT7A and Athon 2600 XP ? ExtantOne Overclocking AMD Processors 4 March 3rd 04 11:37 AM
question about stability of AMD XP processors J.Clarke Overclocking AMD Processors 4 July 30th 03 07:38 PM