is capturing with laptop 4200 RPM is possible ?

Old January 31st 05, 05:15 PM
mohen

Default is capturing with laptop 4200 RPM is possible ?

i got windows pro XP SP2 ( computer name is presario 2500 )
celeron 2.6 Ghz
756 RAM .. 30 GB 4200 RPM , 4 gb free
and i using Grand Av USB 2.0 for capturing .
my goal is to capture up to 3 mintues ... not more than that , but i
never succeed .
everybody said that my 30 GB 4200 RPM is not enough for 3 minutes of
capturing ...
when i preview , it's kinda smooth and everything , but when i capture
it's suck ... sometimes the image is stuck for capoule of sec..
i tried everything
i install new copy of windows .... defrag it . use alot of capturing
softwares , like pinnacle IUVCR ( which is the best i think ) and
many more ... still the same results everytime .
i think external HD will help , but don't got money for that ..
any other soulation ?

Old January 31st 05, 08:47 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

mohen wrote:
i got windows pro XP SP2 ( computer name is presario 2500 )
celeron 2.6 Ghz
756 RAM .. 30 GB 4200 RPM , 4 gb free
and i using Grand Av USB 2.0 for capturing .
my goal is to capture up to 3 mintues ... not more than that , but i
never succeed .
everybody said that my 30 GB 4200 RPM is not enough for 3 minutes of
capturing ...
when i preview , it's kinda smooth and everything , but when i capture
it's suck ... sometimes the image is stuck for capoule of sec..
i tried everything
i install new copy of windows .... defrag it . use alot of capturing
softwares , like pinnacle IUVCR ( which is the best i think ) and
many more ... still the same results everytime .
i think external HD will help , but don't got money for that ..
any other soulation ?

EWWW!!! "but don't got money for that" - "I haven't got (any) money for
that" - don't they teach grammar in schools these days? I won't even bother
with the spelling!

You don't /have/ 30GB - you have *4GB* - you can't use space you don't have.
Depending on the resolution, you probably don't have enough space.

And learn basic English!

on salads.

Old January 31st 05, 09:14 PM
Dave Zass

EWWW!!! "but don't got money for that" - "I haven't got (any) money for
that" - don't they teach grammar in schools these days? I won't even
bother with the spelling!

Oh, so *YOU* are the Usenet spelling and grammar police. I've heard about
you.

You don't /have/ 30GB - you have *4GB* - you can't use space you don't
have. Depending on the resolution, you probably don't have enough space.

But he *does* have a 30Gb. I must have missed the part that you read that
said he had 30Gb free. I didn't see him say that in the post I read. He
asked if a 4200RPM drive can capture video, considering his specs.

And learn basic English!

What if he is not English, and/or it's not his native language? You're
making an assumption. I understood his request perfectly fine.

Facon - what others think of me when I try to act intelligent.

Agreed.

Old February 1st 05, 12:58 AM
Jerry G.

Your machine is way too slow, including the hardware, and its capability.
You will have to start from scratch with at least a full P4, a lot of RAM, a
very large and very fast hard disk.

In other words, you will have to spend some money and get some very good
computing equipment, if you want the speed to do what you want to do.

--

Jerry G.
=====

Old February 1st 05, 07:23 AM
kony

On 31 Jan 2005 12:15:43 -0500,
lid (mohen) wrote:

i got windows pro XP SP2 ( computer name is presario 2500 )
celeron 2.6 Ghz
756 RAM .. 30 GB 4200 RPM , 4 gb free

Is your drive fragmented?

and i using Grand Av USB 2.0 for capturing .

Does it convert to MPEG2?
If so, there should be little to no processing issues, and
very low throughput demands for the HDD.
In other words, usually the setup you have should work,
contrary to other poster's implications. Heck, it ought to
work even on an old Celeron 500 box except one wouldn't
typically have USB2.

Does your system have USB2?

my goal is to capture up to 3 mintues ... not more than that , but i
never succeed .

Kinda irrelevant how long you capture so long as the CPU
doesn't overheat (which I doubt is happening) and the HDD
has sufficient free space.

everybody said that my 30 GB 4200 RPM is not enough for 3 minutes of
capturing ...

Well they may be well-intentioned but wrong.
I can capture pre-compressed MPEG2 even over LAN, or to a
flash card if I chose to. The bitrate just isn't that high
from an external USB device. However, that also means
external USB2 devices are usually poor quality video except
at premium prices... and add to that, that you're stuck with
pre-compressed MPEG which is popular but not everyone's cup
of tea.

when i preview , it's kinda smooth and everything , but when i capture
it's suck ... sometimes the image is stuck for capoule of sec..
i tried everything

Does "everything" include new drivers for the USB capture
box, new drivers for the video card, and new DirectX driver?

i install new copy of windows .... defrag it . use alot of capturing
softwares , like pinnacle IUVCR ( which is the best i think ) and
many more ... still the same results everytime .
i think external HD will help , but don't got money for that ..
any other soulation ?

No, an external HDD is the worst possible solution. Adding
a 2nd internal drive is best, or replacing your current
drive with a new one... if you want an external backup too
then the old drive is much better suited from a performance
perspective, that is, if you didn't need more external space
than it provides.

Other things to look at are (if it has) integrated video.
Sometimes that's poorly supported (ie - buggy). Adding a
video card could help in such cases, IF that's the problem.

Compare the bitrate of your attempted captures to benchmarks
for your hard drive. Use Task Manager to check CPU
utilizaton during capture. For the time being I'd focus on
getting the USB device manufacturer's software to work, not
trying alternatives till you get it working right.