dual CPU set-up/

Old January 15th 05, 02:50 AM
john_D

Default dual CPU set-up/

Hi there,

I plan to build a dual CPU computer. I haven't followed what's new on
harware stuff from the (old) times of PIII or AMD1.0-1.2 GHz.

I have a couple of question to start with:

1) Is it OK to build a dual CPU computer based on Pentium 4 rather
than Xeon?
For example does P4 2.66GHz B have 'what it needs' to be used in a
dual CPU setup? -By dual CPU setup I mean 2 CPUs on the same
motherboard.

2) Which kind of Athlon have hyperthred. and can be used for a dual
setup?(I remember last time -few years ago-I've checked AMD-MP was good
for SMP)

3) What motherboard would you recomend for a dual core setup based on
Pentium / or AMD. I hint for such SMP 2CPUs motherboard brand at
around 200$.

4) Can anyone estimate how much might cost me such a set-up? The
set-up would bassically consist of:
-2 CPUs either on AMD or Pentium
-1 dual CPU motherboard.
-2x512Mb DDRAM
-1Gbit Enthernet card

-other stuff I already have it like old GF2MX video card, 80Gb HDD,
CD-RW unit, maybe a floppy, case, case fun.

5) Basically what is the best combination: 2CPUs on a 1 dualCPU
motherboard I can get ot today from the point of view of performance /
price?

Any help or opinion would be really appreciated.
Thank you.

John

Old January 15th 05, 07:10 AM
Skeleton Man

I plan to build a dual CPU computer. I haven't followed what's new on
harware stuff from the (old) times of PIII or AMD1.0-1.2 GHz.

I have a couple of question to start with:

1) Is it OK to build a dual CPU computer based on Pentium 4 rather
than Xeon?

To my knowledge there is no such thing as dual P4 (they simply don't make dual
cpu boards)... only Xeon..

Regards,
Chris

Old January 15th 05, 06:51 PM
BillL

"Skeleton Man" wrote in message
I plan to build a dual CPU computer. I haven't followed what's new on
harware stuff from the (old) times of PIII or AMD1.0-1.2 GHz.

I have a couple of question to start with:

1) Is it OK to build a dual CPU computer based on Pentium 4 rather
than Xeon?

To my knowledge there is no such thing as dual P4 (they simply don't make
dual
cpu boards)... only Xeon..

Regards,
Chris

2) Which kind of Athlon have hyperthred. and can be used for a dual
setup?(I remember last time -few years ago-I've checked AMD-MP was good
for SMP)

AMD don't do HT CPU's - that's an Intel inovation. I think the Opteron CPU's
are designed to be used in Dual/Multiple processor systems?

BillL

Old January 15th 05, 07:25 PM
dylan

[...]

I've only come across one AMD dual motherboard, I haven't used one, it uses
socket A processors
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/comp...quicklinx=37GK

Old January 15th 05, 08:32 PM
kony

On 14 Jan 2005 17:50:04 -0800, "john_D"
wrote:

Hi there,

I plan to build a dual CPU computer. I haven't followed what's new on
harware stuff from the (old) times of PIII or AMD1.0-1.2 GHz.

I have a couple of question to start with:

1) Is it OK to build a dual CPU computer based on Pentium 4 rather
than Xeon?
For example does P4 2.66GHz B have 'what it needs' to be used in a
dual CPU setup? -By dual CPU setup I mean 2 CPUs on the same
motherboard.

No you need Xeons.

2) Which kind of Athlon have hyperthred.

None, and it (HT) becomes even less useful for an SMP box
than a single CPU based system.

... and can be used for a dual
setup?(I remember last time -few years ago-I've checked AMD-MP was good
for SMP)

"MP" is the official SMP product. "Regular" Athlons can be
hacked to do SMP (connecting a certain bridge together,
IIRC, a Google search will find this info).

3) What motherboard would you recomend for a dual core setup based on
Pentium / or AMD. I hint for such SMP 2CPUs motherboard brand at
around 200$.

What is the function of the system?
Does it need GbE, 66MHz PCI, integrated video or AGP slot or
??? what?

There's a lot less variety in those boards, you'll need
consider the use, role of the system. If it's just going to
be the equivalent of a desktop PC, reusing the AGP card you
mentioned and putting it in a standard (typical but large)
ATX chassis, then something like a Tyan 7505 might work.
Old January 15th 05, 11:03 PM
john_D

What is the function of the system?
Does it need GbE, 66MHz PCI, integrated video or AGP slot or
??? what?

This system will be use as some kind of (barebone) server, under
linux.
Fast enthernet connection is very important. Video card doesn't
matter, it just need to handle some GUI utilities.

Only 2 PCI slot will be used and both for 2 enthernet cards. Do I need
66MHz PCI to handle GbE?

There's a lot less variety in those boards, you'll need
consider the use, role of the system.
If it's just going to
be the equivalent of a desktop PC, reusing the AGP card you
mentioned and putting it in a standard (typical but large)
ATX chassis, then something like a Tyan 7505 might work.

Tyan 7505 looks good to me.

Thanks for your input.

JohnyD

Old January 16th 05, 01:28 AM
kony

On 15 Jan 2005 14:03:49 -0800, "john_D"
wrote:

What is the function of the system?
Does it need GbE, 66MHz PCI, integrated video or AGP slot or
??? what?

This system will be use as some kind of (barebone) server, under
linux.
Fast enthernet connection is very important. Video card doesn't
matter, it just need to handle some GUI utilities.

Only 2 PCI slot will be used and both for 2 enthernet cards. Do I need
66MHz PCI to handle GbE?

No it's not necessary, though a 32bit, 33MHz PCI slot is the
slowest possible way to do GbE. Google some benchmarks if
optimal GbE interface is important to you, I know not what
performance differential there is between wider bus vs
Intel's CSA link or other alternatives.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ or Dual AMD Athlon XP 2800+ SysCold General 9 July 4th 04 03:25 AM
Dual CPU Steve Schooler General 6 March 14th 04 11:53 PM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 12:01 PM
Difference between Dual channel and Non-Dual channel? Chris Stolworthy General 5 January 6th 04 10:41 AM
Mushkin PC3200 1Gb Dual Packs from Fry's DW General 3 September 24th 03 10:37 AM