Suddenly reseting WinXP

Old December 31st 04, 05:49 PM
zyzio

Default Suddenly reseting WinXP

Do you know if these sudden end often resets might be caused by the
hardware? If yes then what may be wrong?

OS: Windows XP professional
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-6BXC on an Intel 440BX chipset (with upgraded BIOS)
Processor: Pentium II 350 MHz box
Graphics: Riva TNT2 M64
Sound: SB! Live 1024 player
Network Card: Realtek Combo 10Mb/s RTL8029(AS)
PCI USB 2.0 Controller

Old December 31st 04, 05:59 PM
FingAZ

Are you saying that your running XP Pro on a 350Mhz processor?? if so, new
computer is in order

FingAZ.

Old December 31st 04, 06:44 PM
FingAZ

Youre a luck one lol my mate had a 600mhz and it may as well have been
opened up and used for a bin , anyway, whats seems to be the problem? your
computer is resetting? can you give details as to if there is a bluescreen,
at any particular time this occurs etc?

FingAZ.

Old December 31st 04, 07:14 PM
zyzio

It looks exactly like the 'reset' button was pressed, no bluescreens nor
error messages. ADSL internet connection active on modem Thomson SpeedTouch
330 USB. I heard that too weak power supply could be a reason, but there is
a 300W ATX power supply (new one) installed. Also all the electrolytic
capacitors on motherboard looks OK. There is 192MB (128+64) SDRAM and
Seagate 6GB hard disk installed.

Old December 31st 04, 07:17 PM
FingAZ

and this occurs at any time? not when a specific program is run or a certain
time after performing an action?

FingAZ.

Old December 31st 04, 07:41 PM
N9WOS

Do you know if these sudden end often resets might be caused by the
hardware? If yes then what may be wrong?

Go to start menu.
Select "control panel"
Select "system"
Select "advanced" tab
Select "settings" from the "startup and recovery" field
In the "system failure" field, unselect "Automatically restart"

Now, when it crashes, you will be able to se the blue screen to
See what actually happened.

I have been very impressed with win XP's stability.
I have to really abuse it, to make it totally die.

Old December 31st 04, 07:45 PM
Jack Gillis

Suggest you go to Control Panel/System/Advanced and under Startup and
Recovery/Settings/System Failure make sure Automatically Restart is not
checked. That will prevent the system from rebooting and should give
you an error message telling you a little about what failed. I keep
'Write an event to the system log' and 'Send an administrative alert'
checked.

Good luck.

Old December 31st 04, 08:33 PM
theyak

In article ,
says...
Are you saying that your running XP Pro on a 350Mhz processor?? if so, new
computer is in order

Nah, I used to run it on a 300a celeron with no problems.

I have it running on a 333 p2 somewhere as a matter of fact.

WinXP Install Problem? BobK General 3 June 2nd 04 10:10 PM
Installing WinXP problem? BobK General 1 June 2nd 04 02:23 AM
Scanner connection in WinXP? BobK General 5 May 30th 04 10:54 PM
maxtor 120gb suddenly very noisy oo- General 7 May 16th 04 09:15 PM
Serial ATA drivers for fresh install of WinXP??? Alceryes General 1 December 26th 03 10:21 PM