Video Card Suggestions?

Old December 27th 04, 09:26 PM
Grinner

Default Video Card Suggestions?

Hi all,

I am looking to replace my video card with a new unit. I'm not really up to
date on the latest cards and technologies so I was wondering if any one
would have suggestions about cards to buy. My prime considerations are
price and quality. I'm not looking for a top of the line, $300 video card.
Preferrably something in the sub-$100 CDN range in either a 64 or 128 MB
card. I have no preference on whether the card uses a NVidia or ATI
chipset.

My primary reason for upgrading is that I got some new games for Christmas
and my video card is out of date and won't support them.

TIA,
Erin

Old December 28th 04, 12:06 AM
Shep©

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:26:32 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
edge when "Grinner" wrote :

Hi all,

I am looking to replace my video card with a new unit. I'm not really up to
date on the latest cards and technologies so I was wondering if any one
would have suggestions about cards to buy. My prime considerations are
price and quality. I'm not looking for a top of the line, $300 video card.
Preferrably something in the sub-$100 CDN range in either a 64 or 128 MB
card. I have no preference on whether the card uses a NVidia or ATI
chipset.

My primary reason for upgrading is that I got some new games for Christmas
and my video card is out of date and won't support them.

TIA,
Erin

Having built many systems and used lots of different makes over the
years I would recommend Nvidia above ATI.ATI's hardware is OK but
their drivers are a PITA.
For Nvidia subscribe to this Usenet group and read for a week,

alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old December 28th 04, 02:17 AM

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:26:32 GMT, "Grinner"
wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking to replace my video card with a new unit. I'm not really up to
date on the latest cards and technologies so I was wondering if any one
would have suggestions about cards to buy. My prime considerations are
price and quality. I'm not looking for a top of the line, $300 video card.
Preferrably something in the sub-$100 CDN range in either a 64 or 128 MB
card. I have no preference on whether the card uses a NVidia or ATI
chipset.

My primary reason for upgrading is that I got some new games for Christmas
and my video card is out of date and won't support them.

TIA,
Erin

Well the Nvidia 5500 and the ATI 9550 come to mind.

The 9550 not the 9550SE
And not the 5700LE

Both are wimpified versions though some say you can over clock the LE
easily I just dont see wide spread posts to know if its close to 100%
true.

If you read the reviews on the 5500 and user comments about the 9550 -
they are coming out with lots of weird variations on the cards so its
confusing --- they say its fine on older games and can play new games
surprisingly though at lower resolutions , not maxed out of course and
with FAA and some other effects off . However , once again as bigger
and badder games come out in the next year or two --- these cards are
going to get outdated more and more may not run them decently at all.
If you arent playing DOOM3 and HALFLIFE2 and that sort of thing at
extremely high res it should be fine.

Maybe someone in Canada has the savvy to suggest a Canadian source
where you can get a killer deal.

As far as drivers go ---- I just got rid of my 9800 and bought a 9000
on clearance and havent had any problems with ATIs though I used to
read about people with problems, having to clear their registry and
all that but that was a long time ago. Ive never had a problem. The
one thing that bugged me a bit was - ATI wasnt able to run some older
kids games at all - Jimmy Neutron series and some other Nickleodeon
stuff. However Im now seeing lots of problems with Nvidias drivers -
weird things going on even with the old bullet proof 400mx card with
the new drivers and the 6800 I have - wow. The spongebob movie game
is a mess on it though HalfLife2 and Doom work fine on it.

Check here :
http://www.buy.com/retail/Parametric...re=0&orderby=4
Old December 28th 04, 04:55 AM
jacoby

If you can find any nvidia Ti cards (Ti500 or Ti4200) those might fit your
budget.
Maybe an ATI 9200. An ATI 9600 might be a squeeze at your price point.

Old December 28th 04, 08:59 AM
chris

why do you say 9550 not the 9550SE what is the difference ??

is the 9550SE much better than the 9200SE (what i currently have)

thanks

Old December 28th 04, 12:56 PM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:59:37 +0800, "chris" wrote:

why do you say 9550 not the 9550SE what is the difference ??

is the 9550SE much better than the 9200SE (what i currently have)

thanks

The SE usually is a wimped out version. Like the 9800 SE they lower
the clock /mem speeds and with the higher end models disable some
pipes. Some people have overclocked some boards and reactivated the
pipes getting a much better card for less but thats a real throw of
the dice. You have to read up on which models and often look for good
memory etc

On this one - total confusion. Some reviews talk about the confusion
and one claims this card was meant for Eastern Europe. Toms Hardware
in one article says he isnt going to test some of the variations that
are proliferating the mkt cause they were meant for the OEM mkt and
come in a bewildering variety , some really wimped out with 64 bit
instead of 128 . I havent seen any like it though. What makes it more
confusing is some search engines etc refer to the SE versions and
nonSE versions.

As far as the 9550 its even more confusing cause as far as I can see
there is no difference in the SE and and non-SE versions at least at
Newegg and the reviews Ive seen. All seem clocked at 250/400 and at
least 128 bit and around the same price except for the 256 memory. The
main difference seems to be 128 megs or 256 memory.

http://www.overclockers.co.nz/ocnz/r...reatir95500104

The 9550 is a Direct X9 card while the 9200SE is an 8 .

Heres what the above says:

At the default clock, 250C/400M, the R9550 is unable to provide a
smooth frame rate for modern games at a resolution of 1024*768 and
above. Users need to be prepared to settle for 640*480 in modern
games.

If the users feel comfortable to use the hacked firmware or driver,
this R9550 has the potential of becoming the pricier R9600.

I dont see it included in any large video card overviews so its hard
to say. The closest Ive seen is a 9200SE compared to a 5200 which is
fairly close. And then they compare a 5200 to a 9550 . The 9550 is
faster but both they say arent really game cards. Comments range from
OK to run games at lower resolutions and some of the effects off to
Newegg consumers who claim it runs a lot of new games OK.

If I were in the US - Id scour the sales and wait for a hot deal on a
5900 or somewhere around that level card etc. Something maybe a little
more powerful in the low $100s. At the moment the 5900s are closer to
$200. The new 6600 nvidia close to $100 is OK but so far its only PCI
express. There seems to a weird thing going on --- Ive checked lately
and the PCI express cards are starting to proliferate so if you just
check avg prices its actually easier to get a PCI express card at a
better deal in the low mid range and mid range maybe.

However if you really wait for the big discount sales - you can still
get an AGP mid and higher end if they have such versions , at a better
deal like my 6800 which I got for $200 , which they had two separate
sales on at Compusa. However as the months go on this may disappear as
PCI express takes over more.

Old December 29th 04, 04:39 AM
Mac Cool

jacoby:

If you can find any nvidia Ti cards (Ti500 or Ti4200) those might fit
your budget.

FYI, the Ti500 is a Geforce 3 card and is too old for most new games.

--
Mac Cool
Old December 29th 04, 08:38 AM
jacoby

I must be lucky that my Visiontek Geforce2 gts turbo oc'd runs HL2. The OP
had a budget of $100 cdn. I would take the Ti cards over a Geforce 4mx.
Geforce 5fx would be close to his budget, but I feel ATI has the edge at
that price point such as 9200, 9550. Even 9600se is selling for $75 US.
Anything else is over budget. I do not know what games he received.
Obviously they do not require any card over his budget. I just gave him some
suggestions in his price point. If they won't run his games, he should know.
I just tried to answer his question.

..

Old December 29th 04, 04:39 PM
Mac Cool

jacoby:

I must be lucky that my Visiontek Geforce2 gts turbo oc'd runs HL2.

I don't know if that's lucky or not.

The OP had a budget of $100 cdn. I would take the Ti cards over a
Geforce 4mx.

So would I, but I wouldn't recommend the Geforce3 card for new games.

Anything else is over budget. I do not know what games he received.
Obviously they do not require any card over his budget.

I don't think it is obvious at all.
--
Mac Cool
Old December 29th 04, 08:49 PM
kony

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:39:19 GMT, Mac Cool
wrote:

jacoby:

I must be lucky that my Visiontek Geforce2 gts turbo oc'd runs HL2.

I don't know if that's lucky or not.

HL2 in particular will use DX7, DX8, or DX9 codepath
depending on the vidcard detected, or one can manually force
a different DX if desired (and supported). By doing so,
even a GF4MX can play HL2 at lower resolutions, but
obviously it won't look as good and/or run as smooth.
Frankly I'd aim for minimum of DX8 card for HL2 as the
quality difference between DX7 & 8 on HL2 is much greater
than between DX8 & 9. That's not to suggest one should buy
an old card with the idea that OTHER games will be ok based
upon only HL2.

The OP had a budget of $100 cdn. I would take the Ti cards over a
Geforce 4mx.

So would I, but I wouldn't recommend the Geforce3 card for new games.

GF3 will be fine for HL2 @ 1024x768 with extra eyecandy
turned off, but in general it's too slow for "most" of the
good ( read: pretty ) newer games.