Cleaning a screen - use spray polish or microfibre?

Old October 17th 04, 05:27 PM
S.Heenan

Default Cleaning a screen - use spray polish or microfibre?

Zoozy wrote:
Sometimes I just have to touch the glass screen of my VDU to work
through some data. Yeah, I know it's not a good way of keeping the
screen clean.

How do you guys keep the screen clean after it has got greasy? I
used to think using a microfiber to life the grease off the screen
was best. All the microfiber advertising suggested it was the very
best.

But now I am coming round to thinking that the old way of using a
spray furniture polish or spray glass cleaner is better than
microfibre.

There are also some proprietary screen cleaner out there (not wipes
but sprays) and I wonder if anyone can say how they compare to the
other methods.

Finally there is general purpose denatured alcohol (methylated
spirits in the UK) but I am not so sure about using this method.

Use a 50/50 mixture of 99% isopropyl alcohol and water. Mist the solution on
a clean 100% cotton cloth. Apply to the screen.

Old October 17th 04, 05:34 PM
Jabba

"S.Heenan" wrote in message
Zoozy wrote:
[...]

I've always found Radox Spring Refresh Handwash with Lemon and Peppermint to
be just great. Basically any detergent seems to work well. Having tried
alcohol, I've found all it does is just smear the grease into a different
place on the screen.

Old October 17th 04, 05:47 PM
JS

But now I am coming round to thinking that the old way of using a
spray furniture polish or spray glass cleaner is better than
microfibre.

Many display coatings will be destroyed this way.

There are also some proprietary screen cleaner out there (not wipes
but sprays) and I wonder if anyone can say how they compare to the
other methods.

I use iKlear Apple Polish. It does an excellant job. It is a pain in the
rer to use but the results are spectacular. This stuff is a polish and
requires the effort of a polish to look its best.

Finally there is general purpose denatured alcohol (methylated
spirits in the UK) but I am not so sure about using this method.

If you still have your display doc's I would check them to see if they say
anything about chemicals that are not compatible with the screen coatings.

Old October 18th 04, 12:59 AM
Bruce Mckown

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:27:34 GMT, "S.Heenan" wrote:

Use a 50/50 mixture of 99% isopropyl alcohol and water. Mist the solution on
a clean 100% cotton cloth. Apply to the screen.

Never use Isoprpyl alcohol on an LCD screen though. It will make it
very streaky. I tried it once and had to wash it iff with water.
Old October 18th 04, 11:44 AM
CBFalconer

Bruce Mckown wrote:
"S.Heenan" wrote:

Use a 50/50 mixture of 99% isopropyl alcohol and water. Mist the
solution on a clean 100% cotton cloth. Apply to the screen.

Never use Isoprpyl alcohol on an LCD screen though. It will make it
very streaky. I tried it once and had to wash it iff with water.

Hmm. The purpose of the alcohol is to absorb all the water. The
purpose of the water is to absorb all the alcohol. I think the
word in question is miscible.

--
"I support the Red Sox and any team that beats the Yankees"

"Any baby snookums can be a Yankee fan, it takes real moral
fiber to be a Red Sox fan"

Old October 18th 04, 07:04 PM
Bruce Mckown

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:44:10 GMT, CBFalconer
wrote:

Hmm. The purpose of the alcohol is to absorb all the water. The
purpose of the water is to absorb all the alcohol. I think the
word in question is miscible.

I don't care what the purpose is, it made the LCD screen streaky. You
going to argue with the facts?

Laptop screen cleaning Moon General 3 March 31st 04 10:40 PM
screen saver vs turn off monitor setting for LCD monitor dave General 4 December 7th 03 09:23 PM