USB Harddisk freezes WinXP when powered on

Old October 16th 04, 10:25 PM
Michael Biermann

Default USB Harddisk freezes WinXP when powered on

OS: WinXP Pro + SP1 + all Updates from MS + Intel Chipset Driver 6.10.1008
USB: Intel 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
USB-Driver Version: 5.1.0.1006 from 28.08.2003
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8PE667Pro, P4-2.4GHz, 1024MB

- If i power on my connected USB Harddisk WinXP freezes.
- if i boot XP and the USB Harddisk is powered on, XP freezes at the
bootscreen
- after i powered off the USB device, XP works again / continues booting
- i can use my USB-Stick without problems at this computer
- the USB Harddisk + cable works fine at other computers with XP or Win2000.
- i have tested several USB ports at my computer

can anyone help me to fix this problem?

Regards

Michael

Old October 17th 04, 01:38 PM
Gerard Bok

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:25:03 +0200, "Michael Biermann"
wrote:

OS: WinXP Pro + SP1 + all Updates from MS + Intel Chipset Driver 6.10.1008
USB: Intel 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
USB-Driver Version: 5.1.0.1006 from 28.08.2003
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8PE667Pro, P4-2.4GHz, 1024MB

- If i power on my connected USB Harddisk WinXP freezes.
- if i boot XP and the USB Harddisk is powered on, XP freezes at the
bootscreen
- after i powered off the USB device, XP works again / continues booting
- i can use my USB-Stick without problems at this computer
- the USB Harddisk + cable works fine at other computers with XP or Win2000.
- i have tested several USB ports at my computer

can anyone help me to fix this problem?

Hard to see from a distance :-)

But given this description I would first check power.
Your PC is on mains, with safety earth well connected, I assume.
But the USB device:
- powered from a 'double insulated' mains adapter ?
- powered from your PC ?
- is there any metallic connection (apart from the USB cable)
with your PC's case ?

Symptoms like this often indicate either the lack of any earth
connection or a double earth connection.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok
Old October 18th 04, 03:42 PM
Michael Biermann

thanks for your response.

i have buyed a new usb pci card with a other chipset than my motherboard and
now my harddisk works fine.

thx

Michael

wrote:

[...]

Turn 2.5-inch notebook harddisk into portable USB storage Andy Leung General 0 August 15th 04 09:23 PM
harddisk clicks, not recognized by BIOS [email protected] General 11 June 10th 04 01:16 AM
WinXP Install Problem? BobK General 3 June 2nd 04 10:10 PM
using the cdrom freezes my machine Alan General 6 February 7th 04 03:18 PM
Harddisk doesn't stop spinning! Patrick Graffeille General 1 August 24th 03 01:19 AM