anyone upgraded compaq 7474 processor?

Old October 3rd 04, 09:06 PM
moriman

Default anyone upgraded compaq 7474 processor?

Hi,

I have a compaq presario 7474 with a 533 megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!
processor.
Is it possible to replace this with an intel processor?
If so which processor would I be looking for?

many thanks for your time

mori

Old October 3rd 04, 10:08 PM
Cuzman

"moriman" wrote in message

" Is it possible to replace this with an intel processor? "

The fastest Super Socket 7 CPU was the AMD K6-2/550Mhz. It wouldn't be
worth upgrading from 533Mhz to 550Mhz. With good cooling, you could
overclock your 533Mhz CPU towards 600Mhz, but that's still very slow by
todays desktop standards.

In order to upgrade the CPU, you would need to change the motherboard. You
would probably need to upgrade your RAM, and most likely your PSU too. I'm
not sure if Windows 98SE on your Compaq Presario is an OEM installation, so
you may need to buy a new operating system too. With that, an upgrade from
the 8GB ATA-33 hard drive would be beneficial. So, in effect, you're
looking at a completely new system.

Old October 4th 04, 12:42 AM
kony

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 20:06:49 GMT, "moriman"
wrote:

Hi,

I have a compaq presario 7474 with a 533 megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!
processor.
Is it possible to replace this with an intel processor?
If so which processor would I be looking for?

many thanks for your time

No, it's socket 7 and there's nothing in socket 7 format
worth upgrading to. The case is mostly likely with poor
airflow and the PSU rather weak, so the most upgrade you
could manage which allowed reuse of case, PSU, & memory,
would be a Tualatin (up to ~ 1.4GHz) Celeron or P3, with
different motherboard of course.

IMHO, today it's not worthwhile except for 2nd/3rd/etc
limited use system, rather than a primary use system. For
your main box it'd be better to replace case, power, memory,
etc, too, start from scratch.
Old October 4th 04, 01:26 AM
moriman

wrote:

Hi,

I have a compaq presario 7474 with a 533 megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!
processor.
Is it possible to replace this with an intel processor?
If so which processor would I be looking for?

many thanks for your time

No, it's socket 7 and there's nothing in socket 7 format
worth upgrading to. The case is mostly likely with poor
airflow and the PSU rather weak, so the most upgrade you
could manage which allowed reuse of case, PSU, & memory,
would be a Tualatin (up to ~ 1.4GHz) Celeron or P3, with
different motherboard of course.

IMHO, today it's not worthwhile except for 2nd/3rd/etc
limited use system, rather than a primary use system. For
your main box it'd be better to replace case, power, memory,
etc, too, start from scratch.

OK, thx, that's what I thought but hoped that someone could tell me
different.

best wishes,

mori

Old October 5th 04, 01:32 AM
Noozer

"DaveW" wrote in message
You CANNOT use an Intel processor in that motherboard. Wrong socket.

Are you on crack? That's a socket 7 CPU. Any socket 7 CPU will go into that
socket...

Now I don't think Intel made any socket 7 CPU's faster than 266Mhz, so it's
a moot point, but you can definately put an Intel CPU into that board.