PPro 1mb Cache

Old February 15th 05, 09:36 PM
alewis

Default PPro 1mb Cache

About a year ago I obtained 4 of these beauties, together with the
appropriate 12v VRMs. Now, they don't work in a ProLiant 5000. :-(

But looking at the Compaq site, they *do* appear in the Proliant 5000
parts/spares list (with a list price of about $2500 each!!!)

Questions for the panel

1. Which 5000 model took them?
2. How the heck does one tell a model of 5000 from another (there appear
to be have 4 models, each with an X variant)
3. Whats the difference

Out of interest, I tried a PPro 200/1mb with a 5v VRM... it worked! Is it
supposed to, and/or will it burn out if ran with a 5v VRM rather than a
12v?

Whilst I'm at it - the 5000 CPU board I have has "5v power" stenciled on
each of the 6 VRM slots. Is there a CPU board that is designed for the 12v
VRM, and if so, anyone know the part number? I might get lucky on ebay.
Just love the 5000 series server.

Thanks in advance... and thanks LC if its you who answers as usual!
Brgds
Alan

Old February 16th 05, 02:08 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

Nope. those VRMs are 5v. there isnt a 12v variant that I am aware of.

Nice chips. the 4 variants on the part numbers tells HP what speed the
processors were when the server shipped. 150, 166, 180, 200. Thats all,
nothing more.

By playing with the dip switches on my old 500, I had 180's running at 233
(changed the multiplier from 2 to 3, and the bus from 60 to 66. They ran a
bit hotter, but I didnt notice any real difference. That used to be my
exchange 5.5 server. Ran like a dream 4xProx and 512M.

- LC

lkaboutcomputing.com...

Old February 16th 05, 11:42 PM
alewis

Cheers matey... interesting

Ok, the 12v VRM's I have are marked "12v DC input 169316-001"

According to Intel website the PPro 200 1mb needs a 12v DC VRM, and the HP
website lists the CPU with a 12v VRM

I stuck a 1mb chip in as CPU2 on a dual config, and it booted and ran ok
(0% utilisation on Netware 4) for 30mins... gonna try it tomorrow with 1mb
chips in both slots, and then as a quad config when I get some more 5v
VRMS, I seem to have lost 3 of the dang things.

So I guess the question is, can the 5000 run the 1mb chip using 5v VRMs
without damage to the chip, VRM or processor board, for any lenght of
time?

Old February 17th 05, 08:37 AM
Guy Macon

alewis wrote:

Cheers matey... interesting

Ok, the 12v VRM's I have are marked "12v DC input 169316-001"

According to Intel website the PPro 200 1mb needs a 12v DC VRM, and the HP
website lists the CPU with a 12v VRM

I stuck a 1mb chip in as CPU2 on a dual config, and it booted and ran ok
(0% utilisation on Netware 4) for 30mins... gonna try it tomorrow with 1mb
chips in both slots, and then as a quad config when I get some more 5v
VRMS, I seem to have lost 3 of the dang things.

So I guess the question is, can the 5000 run the 1mb chip using 5v VRMs
without damage to the chip, VRM or processor board, for any lenght of
time?

I took out the four 512K cache Pentium Pro CPUs in my proliant 5500
and replaced them with 1MB cache Pentium Pro CPUs. Being a typical
electrical engineer, I checked the Intel data sheet first. It turns
out that a 1MB PPro would like to have a slightly lower voltage on
the cache compared with the rest of the CPU, but it is within spec
at the higher cache voltage that the stock VRMs put out - it just
gets a bit hotter. I am assuming that the lower cache voltage is
what makes the 12V VRM different; if you can find a spec sheet
listing the actual voltage to the CPU for both I would be glad to
evaluate it.

I did some calculations on the thermal design and found that if I
replaced the stock heat sink compound with Arctic Silver 5, the
CPU would run cooler than if I kept the OEM compound and reduced the
voltage. See http://www.arcticsilver.com/products.htm and read the
independent reviews linked from http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
- there are reports of 3 to 12 degrees centigrade lower CPU die
temperatures compared to standard thermal grease or thermal pads.

I have been running my server 24/7 for over 10 months now with the
1MB CPUs and the original VRMs, and it is working fine. Better
still, of course would be to change the VRM *and* use a better
thermal compound.

--
Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/

Old February 17th 05, 10:50 AM
alewis

Cheers Guy

I'll have a ferret about on the Intel site and find the link, but this
good. I have some artic silver somewhere.

The 12v VRMs do *not* work in a "5000" - well, neither the two racks nor
the tower models that I have, but the 1mb PPro's boot just dandy with the
stock 5v VRMS.

Nutcracker - can you list the dip settings you used to oc the PPro's? I'm
tempted to play with these; 4 cost me over £100 a year ago, I can now get
4 spare for £25 so might as well have a play.

Many thanks guys
Alan

Old February 17th 05, 02:28 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

Hello Allen,

This will show you exactly what you are looking for:

http://h200006.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/s...70-001_ch4.pdf

- LC

lkaboutcomputing.com...

Old February 22nd 05, 09:58 PM
alewis

lol@matt like the quote... thats me to a T, 'cept I dont leave the house.

Reading the Intel specs (which I still cant trace back to) and the Compaq
part listings, I [thought] I understood that the 1mb model needed 12v. Now
I am just a happy bunny.