Can't run Smart Start 5.4

Old August 5th 04, 11:16 AM
Hank Arnold

Default Can't run Smart Start 5.4

I've run into a catch 22 with some Compaq 6400R servers that were donated to
the Hospice I support. I want to wipe everything out and start fresh. If I
boot the Smart Start CD, it goes through several gyrations and then tells me
that I have to re-install windows on the "S:" drive. If I let it re-boot, it
stops.

Is there an equivalent to a "Frontal lobotomy" where everything is wiped out
and Smart Start sees a "virgin" machine??? Kind of like taking the battery
out of a computer to clear it..... Or is that what I need to do??

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old August 5th 04, 12:52 PM
Nut Cracker

Hello Hank,

I have never seen this S: drive issue before, but if you boot from the CD
and let it take you to the point where you see a number of utilitites (Array
Configuration Uitility, Update System Partition, etc) you should see a
System Erase Utility. This will give the machine the labotomy you are
seeking. If the server has an array controller installed, it will also wipe
out the disk config and you will loose any information on the drives. It
will also clear the NVRAM so you can start afresh. If, for some reason, you
arent seeing this tool, you can also DL the program and run it from a floppy
disk.

let us know if you need anything else,

- LC

news

Old August 5th 04, 04:29 PM
Larry

"Hank Arnold" wrote in message
news
I've run into a catch 22 with some Compaq 6400R servers that were donated

the Hospice I support. I want to wipe everything out and start fresh. If I
boot the Smart Start CD, it goes through several gyrations and then tells

me
that I have to re-install windows on the "S:" drive. If I let it re-boot,

it
stops.

Is there an equivalent to a "Frontal lobotomy" where everything is wiped

out
and Smart Start sees a "virgin" machine??? Kind of like taking the

battery
out of a computer to clear it..... Or is that what I need to do??

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Sell them to me :-)

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Old August 6th 04, 09:39 AM
Hank Arnold

That's the problem.... With one of the 6400R's it went exactly as you said.
I went through all those steps and it works just fine. With the other one,
though, I never get to that point. I get the "Loading Smart Start" screens
and prompts, but after a minute or so, I get a message that Windows needs to
be reinstalled. If I click "OK", it then shows me the name of a file on the
"S: drive that is missing. I can't get past that point....

Is there anything equivalent to "Del" or F2 to load and edit the BIOS? Or a
battery I can pull to do the "lobotomy"?

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

news

Old August 6th 04, 02:57 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

If there is a EISA System Partition on the server, when you hear 2 beeps and
the cursor goes to the upper right of the screen (at boot time, after all
the devices have been reported), hit F10. All those goodies that are on the
CD should also be on that system partition. Its quite handy, provided the
person that set it up used it.

There is also a dip switch that will clear the NVRAM ... its like the 5th or
6th one on SW1. flick it to ON, power up for 5 seconds, power down, flick it
off, power up ... your drives will be fine. THEN you can do the system
erase.

As always, let us know if you need more assistance,

- LC

et...