Server power comparison

Old June 27th 04, 05:47 PM
Adysthemic

Default Server power comparison

Can anyone give me a general idea of "server horsepower".For example:P3-500
1meg cache Xeon 4 processors 1gig ram
vs say Dual P3(plain ol') 1100mhz 1gig ram

Both systems running win2k server 100 clients,main useage
Sybase database.

I'm trying to put together a backup/replication/storage server.
on the cheap,i.e.ebay and such.Some seemingly good deals
come up on "older tech" stuff

Our main server is a Dual xeon 1.5 1gig ram.That is more than adequate.

Is there a formula,or a web site or?...to compare, dual vs quad,xeon(in
various cache sizes) vs. p3,etc.I think you know what I'm getting at.
I don't know quite where to start to find the advantage of
4 xeon processors with slower speeds,vs standard p3 with higher speeds,for
my application.Any tips and/or pointers would be very much
appreciated.Adysthemic

Old June 28th 04, 09:26 AM
Hank Arnold

Can't answer the question asked, but I would strongly recommend adding
memory. 1GB seems puny with 100 users accessing a database program....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold