DL 140-- any experiences?

Old January 18th 04, 07:20 AM
Dave Pooser

Default DL 140-- any experiences?

So the price is frighteningly low-- $1500 for dual 2.4GHz Xeons-- and
I'm afraid this is the beginning of the "HP-ification" of the
Proliants. I've already pretty much resolved to stay away from any more
HP/Compaq desktops and laptops as their quality has in my experience
pretty much gone to hell (O Deskpro, O Armada, where have you gone?),
but I have had some faith in their Proliant lineup. "Surely," I
thought, "even Carly is too smart to screw up the most respected server
brand in the Intel world? Surely she'll settle for having destroyed the
rest of Compaq's pro lineup, and leave this little corner of
functionality be?"

But now along comes this product, and I have to wonder. If it's built
to Compaq standards, that's a killer deal for a light-use box (I'm
thinking about it for a terminal server) that needs CPU more than drive
performance (up to two ATA drives). HP only offers NICs as accessories,
but I have to imagine you could find a working RAID controller and put
two SCSI drives in and have a very nicely priced box. But if it's built
to the same exacting standards of quality as the desktops and laptops
I've gotten-- where QA apparently means "Did it fit in the box?"-- then
it's probably not even worth the paltry sum HP is charging.

So, I'm really interested in the experiences of folks on this
newsgroup. Anybody gotten one of these boxes? Opinions?

--
Bubba Dave Pooser

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Old January 19th 04, 07:00 PM
nut cracker

dont give up on the proliant line. They are priced to compete with the
inferior dell, but still outclass the infidel competitor.... They are still
the best machines on the market..;.

I have seen no reason to bail on Hpaq, and infact, our comany is starting to
swing back to Hpaq because we have had such poor support and performance
from our relationship with dell.

Cheers,

LC

news:180120040120306796%bubbadv@NOcyberrampSPAMDOT net.invalid...

Old January 20th 04, 06:19 PM
Dave Pooser

In article , nut cracker
wrote:

dont give up on the proliant line. They are priced to compete with the
inferior dell, but still outclass the infidel competitor.... They are still
the best machines on the market..;.

I hope so-- I just have a tendency to look a gift horse in the mouth,
and the DL140 looks way too inexpensive to be Proliant quality. But I'd
love to be wrong.

I have seen no reason to bail on Hpaq, and infact, our comany is starting to
swing back to Hpaq because we have had such poor support and performance
from our relationship with dell.

Dell "support" has been worse than abysmal in my experience. If I
change vendors it'll probably be to IBM.

Old January 20th 04, 07:34 PM
nut cracker

"Dave Pooser" wrote in message
news:200120041219198958%bubbadv@NOcyberrampSPAMDOT net.invalid...
In article , nut cracker
wrote:

dont give up on the proliant line. They are priced to compete with the
inferior dell, but still outclass the infidel competitor.... They are

still
the best machines on the market..;.

I hope so-- I just have a tendency to look a gift horse in the mouth,
and the DL140 looks way too inexpensive to be Proliant quality. But I'd
love to be wrong.

I have seen no reason to bail on Hpaq, and infact, our comany is

starting to
swing back to Hpaq because we have had such poor support and performance
from our relationship with dell.

Dell "support" has been worse than abysmal in my experience. If I
change vendors it'll probably be to IBM.

Stick with HPaq... IBM Intel based systems are good, but not as managable or
well supported (software wise) as the HPaq line. We gave IBM a try with
thier E series Intel boxes... not worth it. Lots of problems, poor drive
performance too.

Trust me... stick with HPaq. Of all the choices, its still the best one.

LC