SMART ARRAY 5312 on ASUS i7505 = Nogo?

Old November 23rd 03, 07:50 AM
pkyiu

Default SMART ARRAY 5312 on ASUS i7505 = Nogo?

I have try to install the card onto the pci-X slot but, cannot upgarde
firmware or detect attached HD, win2003 show error that the device
have a problem!
However hte card can initializ and post its starting message on boot!
can anyone advise me is that a hardware failure of the card or it just
cannot run/config on non-compaq machine?

Thank you very much!
Old November 23rd 03, 08:44 AM
RoyWoo

My detail on the error! Plz have a look!
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...hreadId=266429

"pkyiu" ???
om ???...

Old November 23rd 03, 03:56 PM
Dan

You need to set it up on a Compaq system, then move it to the non-Compaq
system to make it work.

Dan French

om...

Old November 24th 03, 01:16 AM
pkyiu

Can you explain with details?

"Dan" . spamcop.net ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...
You need to set it up on a Compaq system, then move it to the non-Compaq
system to make it work.

Dan French

om...

Old November 24th 03, 05:08 AM
Dan

1. Get a Compaq system (any *working* system that will support the
controller.)
2. Install the drives as you would to the Compaq system (on the RAID card)
3. Use Smart Start to configure the controller.
4. Move the controller to the non-Compaq system.

I've done it, and works great.

Dan French

"pkyiu" wrote in message news:3fc15c0c@shknews01...
Can you explain with details?

"Dan" . spamcop.net

¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...
You need to set it up on a Compaq system, then move it to the non-Compaq
system to make it work.

Dan French

om...

Old November 24th 03, 04:03 PM
pkyiu

Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for your helpful information, do you mind if telling me
the following:
(1) Which model of Proliant, I suppose, did you use to config the card?
(2) Does the pci-x slot position/number cause problem while you swap from
compaq to non-compaq machine?
(3) Are you running on the same Asus PP-DLW i7505 main board as I do?
(4) What if I change the harddisk configuration afterwards, do I need to
setup again on compaq machines?

Sorry for my lots of questions, but it's great to have you sharing this
experience with newbies(on Compaq staff) like me.

Thank you very much!

"Dan" . spamcop.net ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...
1. Get a Compaq system (any *working* system that will support the
controller.)
2. Install the drives as you would to the Compaq system (on the RAID card)
3. Use Smart Start to configure the controller.
4. Move the controller to the non-Compaq system.

I've done it, and works great.

Dan French

"pkyiu" wrote in message news:3fc15c0c@shknews01...
Can you explain with details?

"Dan" . spamcop.net

¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...
You need to set it up on a Compaq system, then move it to the

non-Compaq
system to make it work.

Dan French

om...

Old November 24th 03, 04:56 PM
pkyiu

Hi Dan,
forgot to ask one more thing, how does those LEDs on 5312 behave if the
card's running ok? My card shows the following:
(1)The GAS PEDAL led CR501 remains green;
(2)The DRIVE FAILURE led CR507 remains orange; (3)The DIAGS MODE led CR508
remains orange

But the card shows "Slot1 HP Smart Array 5312 initializing..._" which stays
about 5 mins, a bit too long?!, before booting into other devices, is its
hardware ok?

Thanks you so much!

"pkyiu" ¦b¶l¥ó news:3fc22bf0$1@shknews01 ¤¤¼¶¼g...

"pkyiu" wrote in message

Can you explain with details?

"Dan" . spamcop.net

¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...
You need to set it up on a Compaq system, then move it to the

non-Compaq
system to make it work.

Dan French

om...

Old November 28th 03, 07:04 PM
Dan

"pkyiu" wrote in message news:3fc22bf0$1@shknews01...
Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for your helpful information, do you mind if telling me
the following:
(1) Which model of Proliant, I suppose, did you use to config the card?

I don't recall the exact server, but any that will take smartstart will
work.

(2) Does the pci-x slot position/number cause problem while you swap from
compaq to non-compaq machine?

No, that is a configuration of the SERVER, not the CARD. You are concerned
with configuring the card.

(3) Are you running on the same Asus PP-DLW i7505 main board as I do?

No

(4) What if I change the harddisk configuration afterwards, do I need to
setup again on compaq machines?

Yes. Anytime that you "would" use smartstart (changing the number of
drives, drive size, cache size, etc -- configuration that is stored on the
card) you'll have to put it in a Compaq system to make the change the
configuration.

Old November 28th 03, 07:07 PM
Dan

"pkyiu" wrote in message news:3fc2385b$1@shknews01...
Hi Dan,
forgot to ask one more thing, how does those LEDs on 5312 behave if the
card's running ok? My card shows the following:
(1)The GAS PEDAL led CR501 remains green;
(2)The DRIVE FAILURE led CR507 remains orange;
(3)The DIAGS MODE led CR508 remains orange

I'm not that familure with the 5312. Also -- has the unit been configured?

Dan

Old November 29th 03, 04:15 AM
pkyiu

Unfortunately not yet, I still need to find a proliant Server for testing...

thank you so much anyway!

I'll post result once tested for sure.

"Dan" . spamcop.net ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...