Compaq 7594 Processor Upgrade - How Big?

Old August 23rd 04, 06:24 AM
Jeff Givens

Default Compaq 7594 Processor Upgrade - How Big?

Currently a Celeron 566. How fast a Celeron can I put in here? Do I have to
stay at the 66 MHz or can I put a faster one in? How about a Pentium 3? How
fast (if at all) with one of these can I use?

Thanks.
JG... Jeff Givens

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Old August 23rd 04, 01:40 PM
kony

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:24:32 -0400, Jeff Givens
wrote:

Currently a Celeron 566. How fast a Celeron can I put in here? Do I have to
stay at the 66 MHz or can I put a faster one in? How about a Pentium 3? How
fast (if at all) with one of these can I use?

Thanks.

Check Compaq's website for a bios upgrade, and do so.
Board itself should support at least any P3 with 100MHz FSB, but
I don't know about the 133MHz FSB versions of P3. Likewise a
Coppermine Celeron (FCPGA), not Tualatin (FCPGA2) should work.

The other issue might be if the bios halts the system when it
doesn't recognize the CPU, even though it could've ran fine if it
hadn't halted "for no good reason". Checking Compaq oriented
newsgroups you may find reports of whether bios does halt system
if unknown CPU is (isn't) properly identified. Odds are it'll
work fine given the 100MHz FSB constraint I mentioned above.
Old August 23rd 04, 01:54 PM
Jeff Givens

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:40:01 GMT kony wrote:

Check Compaq's website for a bios upgrade, and do so.

Have it and am just waiting....

Board itself should support at least any P3 with 100MHz FSB, but
I don't know about the 133MHz FSB versions of P3. Likewise a
Coppermine Celeron (FCPGA), not Tualatin (FCPGA2) should work.

The BIOS is so basic (old one), hardly any info given and definitely no
settings to help in this matter.

hadn't halted "for no good reason". Checking Compaq oriented
newsgroups you may find reports of whether bios does halt system
if unknown CPU is (isn't) properly identified. Odds are it'll
work fine given the 100MHz FSB constraint I mentioned above.

Not much luck, only 1 or 2 references as to "up to 1 GHz 'should'
work....", but I was looking board specific.

Speaking of, anyone know who the actual board manufacturer of these is/was?
I haven't pulled it out but had looked around and see nothing but a Compaq
sticker, nothing etched on the board though. Maybe on the backside.

Old August 23rd 04, 03:19 PM
kony

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:54:44 -0400, Jeff Givens
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:40:01 GMT kony wrote:

Check Compaq's website for a bios upgrade, and do so.

Have it and am just waiting....

Waiting? Flash bios with old CPU in the system, might be good to
do that even if you didn't upgrade the cpu, since it might add
support for larger hard drives or fix other bios bugs... even if
you didn't know you had any bugs.

Board itself should support at least any P3 with 100MHz FSB, but
I don't know about the 133MHz FSB versions of P3. Likewise a
Coppermine Celeron (FCPGA), not Tualatin (FCPGA2) should work.

The BIOS is so basic (old one), hardly any info given and definitely no
settings to help in this matter.

CPU multiplier and voltage should be set automatically.
Sometimes the FSB needs set by bios or jumper... check manual if
available or silkscreening on the board. It is also possible the
FSB would be set automatically too, it was common for Coppermine
era motherboads to do so. If there is any setting you might
change in bios now (if the setting exists in bios at all) is one
worded something like "halt on error", which could be set to
"no", "none", etc.

hadn't halted "for no good reason". Checking Compaq oriented
newsgroups you may find reports of whether bios does halt system
if unknown CPU is (isn't) properly identified. Odds are it'll
work fine given the 100MHz FSB constraint I mentioned above.

Not much luck, only 1 or 2 references as to "up to 1 GHz 'should'
work....", but I was looking board specific.

Speaking of, anyone know who the actual board manufacturer of these is/was?
I haven't pulled it out but had looked around and see nothing but a Compaq
sticker, nothing etched on the board though. Maybe on the backside.

Think FIC made some and Mitac others. I doubt it's on the
backside of the board but there could be a sticker on the
(bottom) side of the bottom PCI or ISA slot.

Best suggestion is to just buy CPU from someplace with a good
return policy if you can't get it dirt cheap... but then again it
could always be resold. Typical symptom of a Compaq with
unworkable CPU installed is that whole system seems dead (yet
will work agagin with correct CPU installed. You might also try
clearing the CMOS (either via jumper or removing battery for 10
minutes, while AC power is disconnected from power supply), if
the system doesn't run on first or second power-up attempt after
swapping the CPU.
Old August 24th 04, 06:21 AM
Jeff Givens

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:19:09 GMT kony wrote:

Waiting? Flash bios with old CPU in the system, might be good to

it's all apart and is a dog anyways - it can wait till I figure out how
much processor it can handle.

Think FIC made some and Mitac others. I doubt it's on the

Good call, turns out to be a PWA BMW which is a MiTac 6513wu. Takes up to
133 fsb but I still don't know it's max processor freq. Found 1 cite where
some guy claimed up to 1 GHz.

http://www.mitac.com/micweb/products...3wu/6513wu.htm

Old August 24th 04, 02:46 PM
kony

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 01:21:17 -0400, Jeff Givens
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:19:09 GMT kony wrote:

Waiting? Flash bios with old CPU in the system, might be good to

it's all apart and is a dog anyways - it can wait till I figure out how
much processor it can handle.

Think FIC made some and Mitac others. I doubt it's on the

Good call, turns out to be a PWA BMW which is a MiTac 6513wu. Takes up to
133 fsb but I still don't know it's max processor freq. Found 1 cite where
some guy claimed up to 1 GHz.

http://www.mitac.com/micweb/products...3wu/6513wu.htm
_________________________________________________ ________________

Being an 810e chipset it "might" even run a Tualatin Celeron or
P3 up to (? think 1.4 or 1.5 GHz), but I don't know how to
determine that for sure. Max CPU speed generally isn't a
specific MHz model but rather a family of CPUs... in this case
with the 133MHz FSB support it should run any Coppermine CPU, the
question being whether Tualatins are supported, and if so it
should run any Tualatin though it's onboard power regulation
circuitry might not be the greatest for highest speed Tualatin
CPUs.

It should at least run the fastest Coppermine Celeron or P3 CPUs,
which went up to 1.1GHz (Celeron) or 1.13 GHz (P3), IIRC. Note
that there was overlap in the Celerons, the Tualatins started at
around 900 or 950 MHz so "IF" it wouldn't run the Tualatin you
need be sure to get the Coppermine version.

Old August 24th 04, 03:52 PM
Jeff Givens

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:46:15 GMT kony wrote:

It should at least run the fastest Coppermine Celeron or P3 CPUs,
which went up to 1.1GHz (Celeron) or 1.13 GHz (P3), IIRC. Note
that there was overlap in the Celerons, the Tualatins started at
around 900 or 950 MHz so "IF" it wouldn't run the Tualatin you
need be sure to get the Coppermine version.

Yeah, just to be safe I'm staying with the 0.18u architecture. I just
bought one off ebay for $40 US, 1 GHz. Thx for the lead, Compaq is *so*
unhelpful, the web site anyways.

Slow Compaq Lil' Abner General 9 May 18th 04 12:56 AM
To All HP & Compaq Laptop Users, please read this Yvo General 4 March 6th 04 02:43 PM
Problem: Compaq EVO D310 vs Nvidia Graphics Card. Tomas General 5 November 1st 03 05:39 PM
Compaq evo and ISDN PCMCIA TA problem Marija General 0 August 28th 03 03:45 PM
HP and Compaq? Smith General 3 July 31st 03 08:04 PM