Compaq 1200xl keyboard replacement

Old August 9th 03, 10:48 AM
NTL World

Default Compaq 1200xl keyboard replacement

the keyboard on my compaq presario 1200XL laptop has failed, after being
attacked with cranberry juice...
I can find plenty of places to buy a replacement keyboard (part no
171003-031).
Trouble is I can't find any instructions on how to remove the old key board
and fit the new one.
can any one help?

Thanks
John.

Old August 9th 03, 11:19 AM
MJS

Thanks Tom,
The keyboard has now been removed, I'll order a new one and hopefully it
will be up and running again within a few days.
John.

"Tom C" wrote in message
Remove the four screws from below the touchpad / speaker assembly, note

the
size, they are different. Gently pry the touchpad / speaker panel upward
beginning at one side. It may be a little stiff as there are plastic

clips.
With that removed the keyboard lifts out, release the retainer on the

ribbon
cable zif connector and remove the keyboard. For what it's worth, when I
needed one, I found several keyboards on EBay for about $40 plus shipping

or
a new one from Compaq for $55 incl. shipping. They quoted UPS ground
shipping but used next day air at no additional cost.

Tom

Old August 9th 03, 03:42 PM
HH

John,
Which 1200XL? There are Dozens of them and several M&S Guides are available.
HH

Old August 10th 03, 06:52 PM
MJS

HH
it's a presario 1200-xl116
Are the guides available online?

Old August 21st 03, 12:17 AM
Explorer8939

Actually, there are online manuals, I found a manual in PDF format for
my 12XL300 Presario just by looking at hp.com.

The problem isn't removing the keyboard, its not getting a new one,
its getting the new keyboard connector back into the ZIF slot!

"NTL World" wrote in message
the keyboard on my compaq presario 1200XL laptop has failed, after being
attacked with cranberry juice...
I can find plenty of places to buy a replacement keyboard (part no
171003-031).
Trouble is I can't find any instructions on how to remove the old key

board
and fit the new one.
can any one help?

Thanks
John.

Compaq Deskpro EN keyboard question [email protected] General 1 August 11th 03 09:06 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 August 7th 03 11:24 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 7th 03 04:22 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 1st 03 09:24 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 20th 03 03:09 PM