eMachines PC won't boot

Old July 30th 04, 03:23 PM
Usenet User

Default eMachines PC won't boot

I need help with my cousin's computer, it won't boot. It is a eMachines
T1840 with a 1.8 Celeron and 1 stick of 128MB PC2100 RAM

When I first looked at it, the machine would get stuck in an endless
cycle, with the power LED blinking slowly, on, off, on, off. Also, the
CPU fan didn't seem to be working. No POST or anything.

I thought it was a bad power supply, so I tried an old, working, PSU
that I had brought with me. It looks better, but still isn't working
correctly.

The PC is now giving me a POST code, but I don't know what it means. It
gives me 1-3-3-1 (beeps, pauses, beeps three times, pauses, beeps three
times, pauses, then beeps once more). Since I never saw it boot, I don't
know what kind of BIOS it has. I've looked at google, but nobody seems
to even know that eMachines have BIOS's or POST tests, thus making any
research impossible.

There is no display signal to the monitor. Every time it is turned on,
the monitor seems to go active shortly, then prints out the "Check
signal" screen, then goes blank after a while again.

Any advice? Where can I find which BIOS it uses? How do I decode the
POST message?

--
This space for rent
Old July 30th 04, 06:59 PM
Cari

1 long 3 short = RAM error if AMI BIOS
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

1 long 3 short = Graphics card error if Award BIOS
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Try reseating both, but given the "no signal" message, I'd suspect #2
www.coribright.com

Old July 30th 04, 11:43 PM
Usenet User

Cari wrote:
1 long 3 short = RAM error if AMI BIOS
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

1 long 3 short = Graphics card error if Award BIOS
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Try reseating both, but given the "no signal" message, I'd suspect #2

I'll try # 1, but unfortunately it is on-board video, so I don't know if
I can do anything about #2

--
This space for rent
Old July 31st 04, 06:16 PM
Cari

Cari wrote:
1 long 3 short = RAM error if AMI BIOS
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

1 long 3 short = Graphics card error if Award BIOS
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Try reseating both, but given the "no signal" message, I'd suspect #2

I'll try # 1, but unfortunately it is on-board video, so I don't know if I
can do anything about #2

If no results with #1, and therefore you suspect #2, the answer would be to:
a) RMA the motherboard if it's still under guarantee
or
b) Disable the onboard graphics and get a separate graphics card
www.coribright.com

Hard drive will not boot Dave General 1 March 9th 04 06:16 PM
Disk Boot Failure problem atDFN General 2 February 8th 04 07:51 PM
random boot failure no spam General 1 August 30th 03 05:23 AM
Boot Problems Cuzman General 1 August 19th 03 10:12 PM
Hard drive that boots elsewhere refuses to boot in this machine Simon O'Connor General 9 July 22nd 03 06:34 AM