128 MB RAM appears as 64MB

Old July 7th 04, 07:01 PM
Red Kite

Default 128 MB RAM appears as 64MB

HI,
I have just tried to upgrade a MS6178M motherboard from 64MB to 128MB or
196MB. using a PC133 128 MB Dimm.
When I replaced the existing 64MB module with the 128MB module the BIOS
comes up showing only 64MB. This is in either slot. Plugging the original
64MB in as well, and the BIOS come up with 128MB. Windows accepts whatever
the BIOS gives it and works OK.

The manual for this motherboard states that it can carry either 64MB or
128MB dimms for a maximum of 512MB, and then goes on to give details of how
2 x 64MB is actually handled - no further mention is made of 2 x 128MB.

I have had a good look though the BIOS, both on the system and in the
manual, but can see way of activating the full 128MB.

Any ideas would be very welcome

TIA

Red

---

Old July 7th 04, 07:18 PM
M60

I seem to recall you have to install in pairs 2 x 64 (128) or 2 x 128 (256)
only and not a combination

1 x 64 and 1 x 128 will only give you 128 max

dj

Old July 7th 04, 07:25 PM
Mike Walsh

Your motherboard does not support the higher density chips on the 128 MB DIMM. I am guessing that it has 4 chips. If you get a 128 MB DIMM with 8 chips your motherboard should recognize it as 128 MB.

Red Kite wrote:

[...]

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old July 7th 04, 07:38 PM
Red Kite

M60 (dj) and Mike,
Thanks for replying so quickly.
I don't think this box has to have pairs of DIMMs, there is no mention in
the manual, and it has run for 5 years on a single 64MB DIMM.

I had not thought of 4 chip vs 8 chip DIMMs, that could be the reason.

Since this upgrade is a favor for a friend, and I have effectively doubled
their RAM, and got the system out of the bind it was in - I am inclined not
to mess about with anymore chips - but appreciate the ideas you both gave
me.

Many thanks

Red

Old July 7th 04, 10:09 PM
Pen

Sounds like you have high density RAM instead of low density.
How many ICs are on the 128MB one?

Old July 8th 04, 05:20 AM
~misfit~

M60 wrote:
I seem to recall you have to install in pairs 2 x 64 (128) or 2 x 128
(256) only and not a combination

1 x 64 and 1 x 128 will only give you 128 max

LOL. Where have you been for the last eight years?
--
~misfit~

Old July 10th 04, 02:38 PM
Red Kite

Thanks to you all for your comments, I suspect the MoBo was just too old for
the RAM I was trying to feed it. My friend has gone away happy to get
another 64MB on the machine, and out of trouble - So I'm leaving it at that.

Thanks again

Red