Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Old June 25th 03, 11:05 AM
Nassim Bouayad-Agha

Default Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Hi,
Duke : Where are the files that you posted?I've checked
ALT.BINARIES.MISC,but I've not found your message.

JB West : I've also tryed detonators version 44.03 (the lastest) but
nothing.

For opengl32.dll, I've downloaded the opengl95.exe file from
openGl.org then placed the uncompressed DLLs in my windows/system32
directory,as ever : nothing.

I noticed something wrong,I've downloaded SciTech GLDirect software
that normally allows OpenGl display using DirectX,but it didn't worked
also...I use DirectX 9.0 and it works normally(according to dxdiag).

Thank you for your support.

Bouayad-agha Nassim.
Old June 25th 03, 11:22 AM
Martin Eriksson

"Nassim Bouayad-Agha" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
Duke : Where are the files that you posted?I've checked
ALT.BINARIES.MISC,but I've not found your message.

JB West : I've also tryed detonators version 44.03 (the lastest) but
nothing.

For opengl32.dll, I've downloaded the opengl95.exe file from
openGl.org then placed the uncompressed DLLs in my windows/system32
directory,as ever : nothing.

I noticed something wrong,I've downloaded SciTech GLDirect software
that normally allows OpenGl display using DirectX,but it didn't worked
also...I use DirectX 9.0 and it works normally(according to dxdiag).

I recommend you uninstall everything opengl you have installed. You might
even want to reinstall Windows XP from scratch.

The only things you need for OpenGL support in Windows XP and with a GeForce
card are (verified on my wife's computer):
* Windows XP (preferably with SP1)
* nVidia drivers (12.41 is good for your card, but I bet 41.09 and 44.xx
also works nice)

And nothing else. With your system you don't need any motherboard drivers
either.

If any game is causing you trouble from now on, it's the game's fault and
not the drivers/os/hardware. See another thread mentioning removing a config
file in Quake3-engine-based games.

/M

Old June 25th 03, 05:40 PM
Nassim Bouayad-Agha

Hi again!
I've lunched sfc, to put back good open gl files, it restored the
original ones,then, I've installed detonators 23.11.Games works, but
very bad!I've installed the detonnators 44.03,same result : flickers
while i'm playing!
Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
win98?
Thanks in advance.
Bouayad-agha Nassim.
Old June 25th 03, 07:39 PM
Martin Eriksson

"Nassim Bouayad-Agha" wrote in message
om...
Hi again!
I've lunched sfc, to put back good open gl files, it restored the
original ones,then, I've installed detonators 23.11.Games works, but
very bad!I've installed the detonnators 44.03,same result : flickers
while i'm playing!
Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
win98?

Hmm.. The last thing I can think of is that you search your hard drives and
remove ANY opengl32.dll file except the one in "C:\WINDOWS\System32".

Also check that this opengl32.dll (in system32) is produced by Microsoft
(right-click and select "properties" then "version")

/M

Old June 26th 03, 04:10 AM
Dan C

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:40:59 -0700, Nassim Bouayad-Agha wrote:

Hi again!
I've lunched sfc, to put back good open gl files, it restored the
original ones,then, I've installed detonators 23.11.Games works, but
very bad!I've installed the detonnators 44.03,same result : flickers
while i'm playing!
Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
win98?

Sounds like things are hosed. You may want to delete Windows and install
Linux. Things will work then.

Old June 26th 03, 07:03 AM
Martin Eriksson

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:40:59 -0700, Nassim Bouayad-Agha wrote:

Hi again!
I've lunched sfc, to put back good open gl files, it restored the
original ones,then, I've installed detonators 23.11.Games works, but
very bad!I've installed the detonnators 44.03,same result : flickers
while i'm playing!
Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
win98?

Sounds like things are hosed. You may want to delete Windows and install
Linux. Things will work then.

Ah yes... but when I tried, all those "things" that were working, didn't
appeal to me =D

Old June 26th 03, 10:46 PM
xeno

Dan C couldn't help but write:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:40:59 -0700, Nassim Bouayad-Agha wrote:

Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
win98?

Sounds like things are hosed. You may want to delete Windows and install
Linux. Things will work then.

TBH Linux is not (yet, hopefully) an option for gamers. While a lot of the
q3 based FPS's have native versions for linux, most other games dont. So if
the only purpose for you having a PC is running latest games on it, stay
with windows (btw, ppl installing win95 drivers on XP would be totally lost
).

greetings
xeno (who can finally run tmpgenc using winex3 8))
--
.''`.
: :' :
Old June 27th 03, 12:56 AM
Nassim Bouayad-Agha

Hi again!
My problems are not resolved yet,but I'm really fed up with Windows XP
and Microsoft...Why does Microsoft think that everybody uses
DirectX?I've got some experiences with DirectX programming and I think
that it's really much more boring and uselessly complicated if you
compare it with OpenGL.Installing Linux is also a good solution,
but,not all software has a version for it...
I'm not sure that reinstalling WinXp is the solution,maybe my GeForce2
Mx is "quite too old" for Xp that seems to work only with recent
hardware....What do you think about that?
Thanks.
Bouayad-agha Nassim.
Old June 27th 03, 09:53 AM
Martin Eriksson

"Nassim Bouayad-Agha" wrote in message
om...
Hi again!
My problems are not resolved yet,but I'm really fed up with Windows XP
and Microsoft...Why does Microsoft think that everybody uses
DirectX?I've got some experiences with DirectX programming and I think
that it's really much more boring and uselessly complicated if you
compare it with OpenGL.Installing Linux is also a good solution,
but,not all software has a version for it...
I'm not sure that reinstalling WinXp is the solution,maybe my GeForce2
Mx is "quite too old" for Xp that seems to work only with recent
hardware....What do you think about that?
Thanks.
Bouayad-agha Nassim.

No. If you don't have totally broken hardware, that GeForce 2MX works FINE
with Windows XP and the newest nVidia driver (although I recommend the 12.41
driver for any card less than GeForce 3). OpenGL and everything. Not having
OpenGL is not just a cheap way for Microsoft to promote their DirectX API.
It also brings down driver sizes just a little, which is important when you
think about the amount of drivers Windows XP ships with.

As I said earlier, there are only two steps to get OpenGL in Windows XP: 1)
Install Windows XP and 2) install some recent nVidia driver.

I'm even running Windows XP on a Pentium II 333 with 64MB RAM, SoundBlaster
AWE32 ISA and an nVidia TNT card, with the 12.41 drivers. With totally
working OpenGL and DirectX 9.

/M

Old June 27th 03, 07:40 PM
Alex Mizrahi

Hello, Nassim!
You wrote on 26 Jun 2003 02:05:01 -0700:

NBA I've checked OpenGl32.dll version and it's correct...I can't
NBA understand why Windows XP works as bad...They provide DirectX
NBA support but they want to kill openGl , it's completly stupid...

that's just some mysterious corruption of settings or some files, i think..

NBA I've no idea on how to avoid that flickers problem.It never append
NBA with Win98...So,maybe I've got tree choices :
NBA -Back to 98 :-)
NBA -Change my video card (And I'm not sure that I'm not going to have
NBA problems)...
NBA -Find a solution(That seems to be hard).

the solution that will work almost for sure - kompletely kill winxp and
reinstall it from scratch, then install drivers.
(btw, are you sure you have _nVIDIA_ GeForce? other vendors can have some
incompatible drivers, i've heard ASUS has some problems with it)..

NBA I think that we can set a sort of FAQ about that problem because
NBA lots of people have it, and, most of newsgroups posts say same
NBA things...

With best regards, Alex Mizrahi aka killer_storm.