overclocking 5200

Old July 2nd 03, 07:06 PM
John Smith

Default overclocking 5200

Hi All
Ok,know they are a bitt naff,easily beaten by 4200
but they seem quite cheap for a second pc.
What overclocking results are people out there
getting?
Ta for any inf
Smiffy

Old July 4th 03, 09:11 AM
Ron Merts

No kidding! XP Home wants at a MINIMUM 256Mb of RAM to keep itself happy
and running reasonably, but 512Mb is really preferred. If you use XP Pro
then you want to double that. I have seen XP Pro crash under some heavy
graphics apps and games with less that 1024Mb (1Gb). We had one system that
was bailing out of Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind with great regularity
with 512Mb, we added another 512Mb of memory and it's not crashed once
since.

Ron

"[NAC]Nubi" wrote in message
.. .
Larry, if your winxp dont skip the extra 256mb of ram, trust me, with

512mb
winxp runs super fast compaired to just 256.

"Larry Roberts" wrote in message
I'm on a limited budget, and might get one of these myself,
along with an extra 256MB of PC2100 DDR to make a total 512MB, but
can't seem to make up my mind yet. Might just get an ATI 9500, and
skip the memory for now. The ATI 9500 is cheaper than the GF FX5600.
Anywho... I read a review of a GF FX5200 non-ultra roundup.
Out of the cards they reviewed, the Prolink Pixelview GF FX5200 128bit
memory bus version is clocked at 275Mhz core 500Mhz memory out of the
box. It has an active cooling HSF to keep it stable. It beat out all
the FX5200 non-ultra cards in the review. Unfortunatly, since the card
is running pretty much at max clock speeds, they couldn't get it to OC
with the default cooler. Maybe adding a good HSF wih memoy chip
coolers could get it a little faster, but even at it's out-of-the-box
clock speed, it beat out the other overclocked FX5200 in most of the
games, and benchmarks.

http://www.nordichardware.com/review...udget_Roundup/