Can I run a 4400 without a fan ?

Old June 24th 03, 04:37 AM
hb

Default Can I run a 4400 without a fan ?

Only for a few minutes - booting to windows - no 3d stuff. I am trying to
trace where a high pitched whine is coming from. I know it isn't power
supply as the noise disappears in standby while the fan keeps going.

I can safely unplug fan for intel cpu for a little while as it has big
heatsink.

So its the video card or maybe hard drives. I need enough time to put the
case lid back on as the noise is quite different.

Old June 24th 03, 04:05 PM
johndevoy

It would a lot simpler to just stick your finger in the fan while its
running and see if the whine goes away.

Old June 24th 03, 07:06 PM
Flow

This is very easy.
Pull out your video card and switch on your comp.
All the remaining fans should spin,if the noise is still there repeat this
for the other devices.
If not then obviously the fan from your ti4400 is the noisy one.
A mainboard can try to boot with only the atx power connected to it.Ofcourse
it will hang on boot.
But you can see your fans starting to spin.

"Biz" schreef in bericht
Of course this isn't gospel, but IF you satrt with the pc completely cool,

like after having been
shut off overnight etc...it should be fine for a few minutes. Boot up,

identify the problem, shut
down, I can't imagine that taking more then a minute or two.
--
Biz

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand
alloys and compositions and,......things with molecular structures,....and
the....." - Ash

Old June 25th 03, 01:28 AM
PRIVATE1964

I would go with the finger stopping the fan trick, but if not then the answer
to your question I would have to say is YES. What would happen if someone were
using their video card and the fan died and they didn't know it? How could they
know the fan died with the case closed? When you boot into windows the gpu gets
hot, but not like it does from doing 3D. That doesn't mean I would run the
system for long without the fan, but I don't think few minutes will hurt it. If
anything, if it gets too hot your system will probably lock up, then the gpu
isn't doing anything so its not radiating heat.