P650/750 v Geforce 4 4200

Old September 17th 03, 02:52 PM
Dene Wilby

Default P650/750 v Geforce 4 4200

Hi, i've just bought an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514 22" monitor. It's
superb for doing my video editing but i'm not 100% happy with the
picture. It just doesn't seem as sharp as I thought it would be. I'm
running at 1600x1200 at 100hz. I was thinking that it is probably my
graphics card that would be the weak link. I have a Gainward Geforce4
4200. I bought it so I could play games initially but now never play
games on this machine. I've always liked the Matrox cards in the past
and was wondering if anyone thinks I will notice a big difference in
image quality if I went for, say, a P750, P650 or Parhelia. I use dual
montiors.

Anyone able to offer any advice?

Thanks

Dene
Old September 17th 03, 06:31 PM

Dene Wilby wrote:
Hi, i've just bought an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514 22" monitor. It's
superb for doing my video editing but i'm not 100% happy with the
picture. It just doesn't seem as sharp as I thought it would be. I'm
running at 1600x1200 at 100hz. I was thinking that it is probably my
graphics card that would be the weak link. I have a Gainward Geforce4
4200. I bought it so I could play games initially but now never play
games on this machine. I've always liked the Matrox cards in the past
and was wondering if anyone thinks I will notice a big difference in
image quality if I went for, say, a P750, P650 or Parhelia. I use dual
montiors.

There is usually no need to run at refresh rates of 100Hz. Very few,
(if any) really notice a difference. Running the card and monitor that hard
just runs the DAC in the video card and the video amplifier in the monitor
closer to their limits causing more non linearities and hence, often a
blurrier image.

Try 85Hz maximum and see how that is. That will also cause less heat and
thus less likleyhood of a component failure down the pike.

Also, sometimes at those high resolutions (frequencies) some video cables
have internal reflection problems and can produce ghosting which has a
blurring effect.

Matrox cards have very good 2D image quality, better than some others,
but some of the newer ATI's are as good or better in that department.
Unfortunately, many find that ATI's drivers have a lot of bugs.
Old September 18th 03, 05:32 AM
Larc

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:42:45 -0700, Rick pondered exceedingly, then took quill
in hand and carefully composed...

| Crikey, what mad advice! I just dropped down to 85hz and it looks much
| much better, thanks mate! I just assumed that because I _COULD_ use
| 100hz then I should. You learn something new every day!
|
| I've used Matrox cards since the original Millenium so may try one of
| the new cards anyway.
|
| Thanks for the advice
|
| 75Hz should look better still..

But some people can begin to see a bit of flicker at 75Hz.

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§