new build, WinXP blue screen

Old February 25th 05, 07:42 PM
SteelRain

Default new build, WinXP blue screen

I just built my new system today and everything powers up fine, POST
is good, but WinXP goes to a blue screen and says HDD is
corrupt/configured wrong. I used the HDD from my old system as I had
just bought it 2 months ago. Any help is appreciated. here is my
build:

AMD 64 3000+ 939
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
MSE Vigor 500 PSU
2x512 PC3200
WD 120gig 7200rpm EIDE
XFX 6600GT PCIE
Sony 52x CDROM
Samsung DVD+-RW

I am using the WinXP that came with my Sony VIAO. I think that might
be the problem, don’t know for sure. When I tried to restore in the
new machine, it said can’t use this software for this computer. Do I
just need a clean WinXP package?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-B...pict49218.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=237329
Old February 25th 05, 08:10 PM
Dave C.

"SteelRain" UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz wrote in message
I just built my new system today and everything powers up fine, POST
is good, but WinXP goes to a blue screen and says HDD is
corrupt/configured wrong. I used the HDD from my old system as I had
just bought it 2 months ago. Any help is appreciated. here is my
build:

AMD 64 3000+ 939
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
MSE Vigor 500 PSU
2x512 PC3200
WD 120gig 7200rpm EIDE
XFX 6600GT PCIE
Sony 52x CDROM
Samsung DVD+-RW

I am using the WinXP that came with my Sony VIAO. I think that might
be the problem, don't know for sure. When I tried to restore in the
new machine, it said can't use this software for this computer. Do I
just need a clean WinXP package?

Yes. Unless I read your post wrong, you can't use a Sony Vaio laptop
recovery disk to install winxp on a system you just built. You CAN do a
repair installation of Windows XP on the hard drive that you transplanted
from your other system. That will probably work OK. But you don't have the
right CD-Rom to do that. Hindsight is 20/20, but the best way to get WinXP
would have been to order a copy with the GA-K8NF-9 mainboard, as then you
would have been able to get it for about half price. -Dave

Old February 25th 05, 08:12 PM
philo

SteelRain wrote:
I just built my new system today and everything powers up fine, POST
is good, but WinXP goes to a blue screen and says HDD is
corrupt/configured wrong. I used the HDD from my old system as I had
just bought it 2 months ago. Any help is appreciated. here is my
build:

AMD 64 3000+ 939
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
MSE Vigor 500 PSU
2x512 PC3200
WD 120gig 7200rpm EIDE
XFX 6600GT PCIE
Sony 52x CDROM
Samsung DVD+-RW

I am using the WinXP that came with my Sony VIAO. I think that might
be the problem, don't know for sure. When I tried to restore in the
new machine, it said can't use this software for this computer. Do I
just need a clean WinXP package?

you cannot expect a drive from one machine to work in another...
nor can you use a restore cd from one machine on another...
you need to get a new xp cd and perform a clean install...
if there is data on the drive you need...
put it in your old machine and back it up

also...you can perform a new installation without formatting the drive
and retrieve your data from there...
but you should still back it up independently in case of a problem

Old February 25th 05, 09:18 PM
Dee

SteelRain wrote:
I just built my new system today and everything powers up fine, POST
is good, but WinXP goes to a blue screen and says HDD is
corrupt/configured wrong. I used the HDD from my old system as I had
just bought it 2 months ago. Any help is appreciated. here is my
build:

AMD 64 3000+ 939
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
MSE Vigor 500 PSU
2x512 PC3200
WD 120gig 7200rpm EIDE
XFX 6600GT PCIE
Sony 52x CDROM
Samsung DVD+-RW

I am using the WinXP that came with my Sony VIAO. I think that might
be the problem, don’t know for sure. When I tried to restore in the
new machine, it said can’t use this software for this computer. Do I
just need a clean WinXP package?

It sounds like that may be the problem, that the Sony installation has
been set to run only on Sony computers. Other companies often do the
same thing.
Old February 25th 05, 11:20 PM
SteelRain

"Dave C.2" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the help. I am ordering a new WinXP cd. I wanted to wait
till the 64bit WinXP came out before buying a new set, but oh well.
Thanks again.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-B...pict49218.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=238027
Old February 26th 05, 01:29 AM
DaveW

You need to do a clean install of either OEM or retail version of XP. You
cannot get the Sony version to work with other hardware.

--
DaveW

[...]

Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's
request