Laptop brings down wireless network

Old April 20th 04, 09:52 PM
Bobby

Default Laptop brings down wireless network

I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, providing network/Internet access to
my desktop PC and laptop. Both PC and laptop have Belkin 54g wi-fi cards.

About 3 or 4 times a day, the laptop brings down the network. I have to
reset the router/modem to recover. The network is fine if the laptop is not
active. This happens every day. The laptop is normally used in an upstairs
bedroom (the router is in a downstairs hall).

Any idea why this happens? And, if so, what I can do to eliminate or reduce
this annoyance?

All machines running XP Pro SR1.

Cheers.

Bobby

Old April 20th 04, 10:20 PM
Quaoar

Bobby wrote:
I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, providing network/Internet
access to my desktop PC and laptop. Both PC and laptop have Belkin
54g wi-fi cards.

About 3 or 4 times a day, the laptop brings down the network. I have
to reset the router/modem to recover. The network is fine if the
laptop is not active. This happens every day. The laptop is normally
used in an upstairs bedroom (the router is in a downstairs hall).

Any idea why this happens? And, if so, what I can do to eliminate or
reduce this annoyance?

All machines running XP Pro SR1.

Cheers.

Bobby

Please explain "brings down the network".

Old April 20th 04, 10:42 PM
Rico

In article , "Bobby" wrote:
I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, providing network/Internet access to
my desktop PC and laptop. Both PC and laptop have Belkin 54g wi-fi cards.

About 3 or 4 times a day, the laptop brings down the network. I have to
reset the router/modem to recover. The network is fine if the laptop is not
active. This happens every day. The laptop is normally used in an upstairs
bedroom (the router is in a downstairs hall).

Any idea why this happens? And, if so, what I can do to eliminate or reduce
this annoyance?

All machines running XP Pro SR1.

Cheers.

Bobby

How do you set up the AP/Router? What I mean is, I have a linksys AP, it
provides a web interface http://192.168.x.x from which I configure it. How
does that work on your belkin?

Old April 23rd 04, 10:41 PM
Bobby

The Network Connection icon goes red and the network icon has a cross
through it. I have to do a manual reset to get the signal back (which works
every time). The dropped signals seem to reduce if I bring the laptop closer
to the router.

Any ideas? Is this a common wi-fi problem? Or a common problem with Belkin
wi-fi kit? Cheers.

Bobby

"Quaoar" wrote in message
Bobby wrote:
I have a Belkin wireless router/modem, providing network/Internet
access to my desktop PC and laptop. Both PC and laptop have Belkin
54g wi-fi cards.

About 3 or 4 times a day, the laptop brings down the network. I have
to reset the router/modem to recover. The network is fine if the
laptop is not active. This happens every day. The laptop is normally
used in an upstairs bedroom (the router is in a downstairs hall).

Any idea why this happens? And, if so, what I can do to eliminate or
reduce this annoyance?

All machines running XP Pro SR1.

Cheers.

Bobby

Please explain "brings down the network".

Connect wireless router to existing network? Subodh123 General 1 March 25th 04 08:52 AM
Wireless Network Upgrade Smith General 5 January 24th 04 11:27 PM
USB Wireless Network adapter problem Ciaran Mooney General 2 January 4th 04 05:55 PM
Wireless Network Card On Win98 Not Working Gary Brown General 2 December 12th 03 12:32 PM
Wireless network ={ Advocated }= General 1 July 9th 03 04:32 PM