Case Study: Dial-up Internet problem -- What is likely to be the problem?

Old April 16th 04, 12:07 AM
Midnight Moocher

Default Case Study: Dial-up Internet problem -- What is likely to be the problem?

Hi,
A friend of mine is running Windows98 on a Celeron processor (around 550Mhz) with 192mb of RAM and a 10gig HardDrive.

He says that when using the internet it is painfully slow and scrolling a loaded page results in a slow crawl.

NTL is his ISP. For this reason, I don't think this is where the problem lies. My NTL connection works fine.
Though it could have something to do with the NTL connection software. Very often he says he will get a message reporting conflicts.

He doesn't have any anti-virus software. I think it's very likely he has a virus or two hidden away as it's a pretty old machine.
But is there such a virus that will bring Internet Explorer almost to a halt?

Maybe there is just a fault with browser software and a re-install will fix it. Another possibility is that his modem has packed in.

I'm going over to have a look for myself next week but I would appreciate your views on the matter.

Old April 16th 04, 03:09 AM
himerus

IMHO:

1. MUST HAVE Anti-Virus software
2. Possible modem driver needs updating?

Too often it is blamed on the ISP, but you have ruled that out thi
time, as you use the same ISP yourself.

I would say that the basic specs on the computer would not be th
cause... 550Mhz would be more than enough for any ammount of we
browsing with 192 MB of RAM...

I would put some AV software on, look for and updated modem drive
either from the manufacturer of the modem or PC. If the ISP has thie
own software that has to be used, I'd check for the latest version o
that software as well..
--------
himeru
himerus's Profile: http://www.myispforum.com/member.php?u=
View this thread: http://www.myispforum.com/showthread.php?t=283
Selected USENET Gateway Access: www.myISPforum.com Powered by myISPfinder 2.

Old April 16th 04, 04:32 AM
Stacey

Midnight Moocher wrote:

Hi,
A friend of mine is running Windows98 on a Celeron processor (around
550Mhz) with 192mb of RAM and a 10gig HardDrive.

He says that when using the internet it is painfully slow and scrolling a
loaded page results in a slow crawl.

NTL is his ISP. For this reason, I don't think this is where the problem
lies. My NTL connection works fine. Though it could have something to do
with the NTL connection software. Very often he says he will get a message
reporting conflicts.

He doesn't have any anti-virus software. I think it's very likely he has a
virus or two hidden away as it's a pretty old machine. But is there such a
virus that will bring Internet Explorer almost to a halt?

Download and run Adaware and then go to trendmico's site for a free virus
scan.

--

Stacey
Old April 16th 04, 02:18 PM
Midnight Moocher

2. Possible modem driver needs updating?

Didn't think of driver problem. I will add it to my 'to check' list.

Thanks.

My Review: ASPIRE Turbo Case X-Dreamer Black Mid-Tower Case with350W Power Supply, Model "ATXB3KLW/350W" Cyde Weys General 3 June 1st 04 04:10 PM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Modem Problems JH General 5 February 2nd 04 07:46 PM
Troubleshooting Internet Problem Taishi General 1 October 26th 03 01:59 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman General 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM