Don't know why so many people have probs with ATI

Old December 11th 03, 07:37 AM
Tim Lindner

Default Don't know why so many people have probs with ATI

Driver problems here, stability problems there in this newsgroup.

Since I deleted my old nvidia driver stuff and installed the catalyst 3.10
without WHQL, everything is allright... I don't have any problems.

Perhaps people who had a nvidia should care for driverremains; this could be
one reason why people who had a nvidia and turned to ATI are so
disappointed.

All other who have other probs with ATI: it seems that some gfx cards are
defect and must be returned.

Old December 11th 03, 05:46 PM
JAD

Remember something here, The only (or should I say the majority) of people that post here, out of the thousands of users of ATI
products, come here because they have problems, not to praise the product. Being frustrated is a good motivator to post, being
pleased, rarely causes the need to post.

Old December 11th 03, 11:55 PM
Judge

ATI has a slew of problems because they are the worst driver writers
in the business, and, they have the arrogance to write 'their way'
instead of working with Windows first. They have zero interest in
solving problems unless a horde of people have the same problem. Even
a lowly graphic chipmaker like SiS has enough sense to work with
Windows first, and everything else matters second.

If ATI were based in California instead of Canada, I think they would
be much better off. If you were a programmer/engineer, where would you
want to live and work? Sunny California, or the icy wasteland known as
Canada?

Old December 12th 03, 12:59 AM
RipFlex

icy wasteland known as Canada? - obviously an ignorant american - Canada
Weather no different than your nothern States excluding Buffalo which is
more an Artic wasteland than rest of Canada.

Anyways, I owns Nvidia products as well and in it's forums/newgroups I read
pretty much the SAME type of complaints. I have used drivers from both.
Over-all always a driver set works great and another does something whacked.
I have owned both Nvidia/3dfx and ATI cards. True that ATI cards/drivers
pretty much sucked since and up to Radeon 8500 series. But now, well the
quality very much the same for ATI and Nvidia.

Since the newgroups also covers whiners and ranters other than legittamit
problems/complaints, I don't see why posts of praise are NOT allowed?

Old December 12th 03, 04:12 AM
J.Clarke

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:55:19 -0500
Judge wrote:

ATI has a slew of problems because they are the worst driver writers
in the business, and, they have the arrogance to write 'their way'
instead of working with Windows first. They have zero interest in
solving problems unless a horde of people have the same problem. Even
a lowly graphic chipmaker like SiS has enough sense to work with
Windows first, and everything else matters second.

If ATI were based in California instead of Canada, I think they would
be much better off. If you were a programmer/engineer, where would you
want to live and work? Sunny California, or the icy wasteland known as
Canada?

People's Republic of California, People's Republic of Canada, what's the
difference?

wrote:

Driver problems here, stability problems there in this newsgroup.

Since I deleted my old nvidia driver stuff and installed the catalyst
3.10 without WHQL, everything is allright... I don't have any
problems.

Perhaps people who had a nvidia should care for driverremains; this
could be one reason why people who had a nvidia and turned to ATI are
so disappointed.

All other who have other probs with ATI: it seems that some gfx cards
are defect and must be returned.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old December 12th 03, 09:38 AM
Darthy

Judge wrote:

ATI has a slew of problems because they are the worst driver writers
in the business, and, they have the arrogance to write 'their way'
instead of working with Windows first. They have zero interest in
solving problems unless a horde of people have the same problem. Even
a lowly graphic chipmaker like SiS has enough sense to work with
Windows first, and everything else matters second.

If ATI were based in California instead of Canada, I think they would
be much better off. If you were a programmer/engineer, where would you
want to live and work? Sunny California, or the icy wasteland known as
Canada?

People's Republic of California, People's Republic of Canada, what's the
difference?

Thongs on babes at the beaches in Spring.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old December 12th 03, 09:43 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:59:29 -0500, "RipFlex"
wrote:
Anyways, I owns Nvidia products as well and in it's forums/newgroups I read
pretty much the SAME type of complaints. I have used drivers from both.
Over-all always a driver set works great and another does something whacked.
I have owned both Nvidia/3dfx and ATI cards. True that ATI cards/drivers
pretty much sucked since and up to Radeon 8500 series. But now, well the
quality very much the same for ATI and Nvidia.

Yep... If drivers were crap today with ATI, they would be an almost
dead company... you wouldn't have Nvidia users telling people to BUY
ATI products (check for yourself).

Like the ATI8500 vs the GF 3-500... on paper. the 8500 should have
stomped the GF3 series into the ground with about 20~40% better
performance...

The drivers sucked the performance out... So after the reviews and
such, ATI spent a lot of time getting their software act together.

Old December 12th 03, 04:28 PM
Phrederick

wrote:
Anyways, I owns Nvidia products as well and in it's forums/newgroups I

read
pretty much the SAME type of complaints. I have used drivers from both.
Over-all always a driver set works great and another does something

whacked.
I have owned both Nvidia/3dfx and ATI cards. True that ATI cards/drivers
pretty much sucked since and up to Radeon 8500 series. But now, well the
quality very much the same for ATI and Nvidia.

Yep... If drivers were crap today with ATI, they would be an almost
dead company... you wouldn't have Nvidia users telling people to BUY
ATI products (check for yourself).

Drivers ***ARE*** crap at ATI today... They just commit more resources to
the video cards than they do to other products. They've had their TV tuners
available for YEARS, yet they STILL can't make them work right.

Like the ATI8500 vs the GF 3-500... on paper. the 8500 should have
stomped the GF3 series into the ground with about 20~40% better
performance...

The drivers sucked the performance out... So after the reviews and
such, ATI spent a lot of time getting their software act together.

They still don't have their act together. Their drivers are a kludge. ATI
doesn't work with Microsoft to develop within the API so every time
Microsoft changes something, ATI had to figure it out all over again.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Hell... I remember when 16k of SYSTEM memory was alot. Didn't you ever puch
a program into a hex pad or set of switches and then watch the LED's go when
the program ran?

Old December 13th 03, 01:25 AM
Judge

I agree that a lot of the US is just as icy as canada - but lets' face
it - if you had a choice of making the same (or a lot more) money in
SoCal or Canada - where the hell would you go?? You cant tell me
you'll find the quality of programmer in Canada as you will find in
silicon valley. If you could, we wouldn't be having this discussion
after all.

ATI may have gotten SOME of their act together on drivers, but they
still have a long way to go before they are as stable or widely
supporting as nvidia. ATI has been around since the proverbial dirt
was invented as far as PC's go, and yet they still suffer from the
same achilles heel that has always plagued them.

I really hoped the stories I was reading about their turnaround were
true, but they were half-truths at best. Yes, the ATI products are
turning in great gaming peformances - BUT - their desktop performances
are not on par. Until this is rectified I will not go idly by and let
them rape the general public with overpriced products that are sold
knowing there are issues and problems that they have no intention of
fixing.

wrote:

icy wasteland known as Canada? - obviously an ignorant american - Canada
Weather no different than your nothern States excluding Buffalo which is
more an Artic wasteland than rest of Canada.

Are YOU a RETARD? The Punisher Overclocking AMD Processors 14 February 15th 05 12:42 PM
Are YOU a RETARD? The Punisher Overclocking 16 January 17th 05 12:13 AM
Are YOU a RETARD? The Punisher Homebuilt PC's 6 January 15th 05 03:41 PM
Are YOU a RETARD? The Punisher General 3 January 14th 05 09:00 PM
Are YOU a RETARD? The Punisher Abit Motherboards 0 January 13th 05 06:11 PM