Medal of Honor & radeon 9700 Pro.

Old October 9th 03, 07:36 PM
h2so4

Default Medal of Honor & radeon 9700 Pro.

Hello kindly folk. Here's my problem. A few days ago my system, PIV 3.0c,
Abit IC7-G and Radeon Pro 9700, suffered a major crash causing some of my XP
system files to be obliterated. Thus it became necessary to restore my
system with a savd image using Acronis True Image. After tinkering with my
RAM timings my system is now stable and everything works fine except Medal
of Honour. This crashes to the desktop whilst loading the the first map. All
our other games work just fine. These include Vietcong, FS2004, CFS 3 and
all run well.

Before the crash I had no problem with MOH, Allied Assault, Spearhead or
Breakthrough prior to thr crash. All ran well. I've tried everything I can
think of to resolve this problem, including the following.

Tried Catalyst 3.4, 3.7 and 3.8. On each fresh install I've carefully
uninstalled the older drivers and scoured and clean the registry for ATI
entries. I've re-installed Directx 9b and the Intel chipset drivers. I've
uninstalled and re-installed MOH a few times. I've also tried using safe
mode and a variety of graphic options in the game. I've also tried getting
help from the MOH support site but have had no reply.

Forgive the long post but below is the error log from MOH. Is it possible
that some kind soul out there may have a helpful suggestion.

**ERROR PlaySound: snd_step_stone needs an alias in ubersound.scr or
uberdialog.scr - Please fix.

ERROR PlaySound: snd_step_equipment needs an alias in ubersound.scr or
uberdialog.scr - Please fix.
^~^~^ Add the following line to the *_precache.scr map script:
cache models/player/american_army_fps.tik
------- S_StopAllSounds (stop music) -------
------- S_StopAllSounds Complete-------
trFMV:lay(), playing briefinge1.roq
MAX_PACKET_USERCMDS
MAX_PACKET_USERCMDS
------ Server Initialization ------
Server: e1l1
------- S_StopAllSounds (stop music) -------
------- S_StopAllSounds Complete-------
Setting up Shaders
UI_DrawConnect called
WARNING: using default obfuscation for shader textures/common/obscure_tree
WARNING: using default obfuscation for shader textures/common/obscure_bush
----- CL_Shutdown -----
------- S_StopAllSounds (stop music) -------
------- S_StopAllSounds Complete-------
------- Sound Shutdown (full) -------
------- S_MILES_StopAllSounds -------
------- S_MILES_StopMP3 -------
------- Q_AIL_shutdown -------
------- S_MILES_FreeDLL -------
------- S_MILES_FreeDLL Finished! -------
------- Sound Shutdown Complete -------
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
....wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
....deleting GL context: success
....releasing DC: success
....hiding window
....destroying window
....window successfully destroyed
....resetting display
....shutting down QGL
....unloading OpenGL DLL
-----------------------
----- Server Shutdown -----
---------------------------
Tried to read from a zip file
newanim/models/human/animation/weapon_mp44/cornering/mp44_wall_right_shoot.s
kc that was not open**

Thanks for your patience.

Old October 9th 03, 09:00 PM
Tim Miser

Try using system restore to go back to a time when it was working. You can
always undo the restore afterwards if that didn't work so there is no risk
and it's a fast easy check. If that doesn't work, you may want to try
reinstalling WinXP over the top of itself. That will put back any missing
or corrupted system files which sounds like is your problem.

-Tim

Old October 9th 03, 10:20 PM
thefoxyone

try deleting\renaming your unnamedsoldier.cfg file should cause you to have
to reconfigure your graphics sound & controls etc, also you might want to
try running system file checker sfc.exe to restore any corrupted system
files

Old October 10th 03, 03:30 AM
h2so4

"Tim Miser" wrote in message
Try using system restore to go back to a time when it was working. You

can
always undo the restore afterwards if that didn't work so there is no risk
and it's a fast easy check. If that doesn't work, you may want to try
reinstalling WinXP over the top of itself. That will put back any missing
or corrupted system files which sounds like is your problem.

I can't use system restore as I had to reload a ghosted image of my drive
from an earlier time, i.e., before I had installed MOH. If I re-nstall XP
over my existing version, I presume I'll have to re-install Directx, the SP1
and other patches and my USB devices. If I have to go that far perhaps a
complete re-install of XP and the system might be a better investment of
time. However, I'd like to avoid that for now.
Thanks for you suggestions.

Old October 10th 03, 03:34 AM
h2so4

"thefoxyone" wrote in message
try deleting\renaming your unnamedsoldier.cfg file should cause you to

have
to reconfigure your graphics sound & controls etc, also you might want to
try running system file checker sfc.exe to restore any corrupted system
files

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing MOH plus the two add ones several
times. I ran sfc as you suggested. As far as I know just the one file was
repaired. I'll try deleting my unnamedsoldier file.
Thank you.

Old October 11th 03, 11:47 PM
h2so4

I got this fixed. Just in case anyone wants to know how, I did the
following. I carried out a thorough registry search for ATI enties and found
many. Some referred to the CAT 3.4s and others to the 3.7s. I then
re-installed the 3'8s but this didn't solve the problem. I then ran Nortons
Windoctor that found five invalid shortcuts related to ATI drivers and
control panel so I deleted these. Still MOH would not run. I then
uninstalled MOH and the add ons and ran Nortons again. More invalid
shortcuts were found and deleted. I re-installed MOH and BINGO! it ran, but
with artifacts (I noticed these artifacts also in Battlefield 1942 -- an
opengl issue)?. I then went to the ATI control panel and disabled VPU
recover and the alternative DVI feature. I then did a repair install of
Breakthrough. Problem solved MOH runs well without glitches.

Now I'm sure that in the above somewhere there was a simple solution but I'm
damned if I know what it was.