is it worth me getting a GeForce FX 5200 or similar card?

Old January 30th 04, 10:09 AM
DemonTraitor

Default is it worth me getting a GeForce FX 5200 or similar card?

Hi

I am considering upgrading my PC next month but would first like to
get a better GFX card in. My current M/Board is:

Motherboard ..........................................
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd
Model: 6VXC7-4X / 6VXC7-4X-P
Version: 1.0
BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version: 62710
BIOS Release Date: 05/04/2001
BIOS Properties: Plug and Play, Flash, AGP

I currently have an ASUS V7100 64mb AGP 4x GFX card which is only
working on AGP 2x as for some reason the voltage has change from 1.5v
to 3.3v on my AGP port overnight.

I am considering getting a GeForce FX 5200 128mb this weekend. Now, if
I got this card (i know it is AGP 3.0 compliant), but I am wondering
if it will work with my current M/Board, which is AGP 2.0 and running
at 3.3 volts.

Thanks

Demon
Old January 31st 04, 11:33 AM
DemonTraitor

Thanks for that. I do intend to a whole new system next month (buying
the bits myself) and i was thinking of just getting the GFX card today
just to keep me going.

(Dimitris) wrote in message om...
(DemonTraitor) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Your motherboard is a bit old, and it might have a problem with agp
voltage. Theoretically if the motherboard supports Agp 4x, then any
card which is 4x/8x like Fx5200 it will work on it. THEORETICALLY.
Instead of giving those 100 euro or usd for taking the FX5200 you
might be able with a little more cash to get a new motherboard with
integrated graphics(and dual ddr and sata controller e.t.c) , which
also has an AGP 8x slot for future vga upgrade.