Unknown device

Old August 11th 03, 05:43 AM
The Wizard of Odd

Default Unknown device

In my hardware manager i have an "unknown device" (under Other Devices)
with an exclamation point. Clicking on Properties shows me that there is no
driver, but the location is "on VIA Standard PCI to ISA Bridge". The device
status is "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)". I
cannot reinstall nor update the driver for whatever it is. What is this
device, and why do i have this message? My computer is working fine. I
know i can simply disable it, but i'd rather know what's going on.

Gigabyte MB GA-7VRXP (ver 2),
Athlon XP 1800+,
Via 400 Chipset,
Crucial PC2700 256 MB RAM,
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
Windows XP (Home).

The Wizard of Odd

Old August 11th 03, 11:06 PM
Matt

"The Wizard of Odd" wrote in message
In my hardware manager i have an "unknown device" (under Other Devices)
with an exclamation point. Clicking on Properties shows me that there is

no
driver, but the location is "on VIA Standard PCI to ISA Bridge". The

device
status is "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)". I
cannot reinstall nor update the driver for whatever it is. What is this
device, and why do i have this message? My computer is working fine. I
know i can simply disable it, but i'd rather know what's going on.

Have you installed the VIA 4in1 pack yet?

Old August 12th 03, 04:01 AM
The Wizard of Odd

I thought that might be the problem, so i installed it. Sort of. It caused
so many problems on my computer, i had to do a system restore.

TWoO

Old August 12th 03, 06:20 AM
Matt

I thought that might be the problem, so i installed it. Sort of. It

caused
so many problems on my computer, i had to do a system restore.

Actually I think system restore is your problem. It sucks. Turn it off and
do another install of the VIA 4in1. You have to install it my friend. There
is no other way about it.

Old August 13th 03, 11:45 PM
NuT CrAcKeR

I had that problem on my IBM Netfinity 5500 server. There was some strange
device that I couldnt identify... so in the dev mgr, i right clicked it, and
told it to use windows update to locate the driver.

It turns out it was a Virtual Fault Tolerant Raid Device.... who knew?

After that, it was all good. Dont know if this helps or not, but its worth a
shot.

NuTs

Old August 24th 03, 06:17 PM
Bob Wright

I have exactly the same problem with unknown device as Wizard of Odd.
Where did you find the setting for a memory card reader?

GA-7VRXP (ver 2)
F-12
Via 4in1 is installed

Problem started after upgrading bios to F12
WinXP Pro can find no driver

Greggmendel wrote:
One possibility: the BIOS may be set up to expect a memory card reader: you
may want to check that. If so, just changing the BIOS to turn that function
off will clear up the problem.