GA7-VRXP and Athlon 2400+ XP - Won't boot!!?? WHY ??

Old August 29th 03, 02:06 AM
Tom

Default GA7-VRXP and Athlon 2400+ XP - Won't boot!!?? WHY ??

Hello- I have no real tips, but I just today installed the same chip in the
same motherboard- same rev too. Took out the 1.4 and dropped in the 2400. No
problems. Also have a geforce 5200 and 512 of pc2100.
So with all the help I offered .... sorry- been there.
All I can say is that the combo will work- maybe start looking at a
defective chip.
Tom

"TiredRob" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm hoping some-one here can help me with a problem I have with the new

CPU
I just bought for my m/board, because I cannot get it to even boot up at
all!

The problem;

After fitting the CPU, nothing seems to go at all, except the fans. The
system doesn't even get to the BIOS, and even doesn't fire up my monitor!
Tried running at both 133 and 100mhz FSB, no difference.

The components;

Gigabyte GA7-VRXP v1.1 m/board F12 bios installed
Athlon 2400+ XP (266mhz) CPU
Q-Tec 550W PSU
512mb 333 RAM
Geforce 2 GTS (Creative labs)
2*120gb Maxtor h/disks, RAID
Usual other stuff - cdrw etc etc...

Anyone have ANY ideas or suggestions on why my system won't even boot ? I
checked on the Gigabyte website before I bought the CPU, and it says it
should be compatible.. If I refit my Athlon 1.1 everything is fine.

I've had no response from Gigabyte to my emails, so any help here or
suggestions as to things to try out would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob.

Old August 29th 03, 10:38 PM
Tom

When I built the machine last year, with the 1.4, I could only get Win2k
loaded if I set it at 100 fsb. After it was loaded, it switched to 133 and
kept it there.
Everything on my bios is set to "auto" and to "peak performance", I usually
don't monkey with anything else.(sorry- this is only the 4th box I built-
not too knowledgeable on divider settings and Vcc settings.....)
So when I changed the chip to the 2400, I didn't clear the cmos. When I
booted up the first time I got a windows message "your processor has been
changed".

Odds are you probably know this stuff- but one time I plugged in an 800mhz
chip into a board. I just wanted to see it it would work for a few seconds,
so I figured I didn't need a heat sink.
Wouldn't even post. I guess it went into immediate thermal shutdown. Put the
HS on and it worked thereafter.

Anyway I still have the problem with my board with the new chip-same as the
old chip. Conputer works great with any app- as long as I'm using it. But
when it goes into standby- I'm locked out- mouse moves but no icon action.
Have to hit the soft reboot key.

I should walk away and consider myself lucky.

"TiredRob" wrote in message
Hi Tom, thanks for the reply.. At least that confirms that it SHOULD be

able
to work ok...

Any chance you could tell me what m/board settings you used for the new

chip
please ? Are you running the multiplier dip switches set to auto ? 100 or
133mhz FSB ? Did you clear your CMOS when you changed chip... ??

Any info you can supply might help me. I'm still getting no-where!

Thanks,

Rob.

Old August 29th 03, 10:40 PM
Tom

Forgot to add- I see plenty of good info at www.amdmb
Click on "forums" then motherboards, then Gigabyte.