Help! Drive Image Program for SIL 3112 Controllers?

Old August 21st 03, 06:59 AM
Helen Chevy

Default Help! Drive Image Program for SIL 3112 Controllers?

After using Acronis True Image to make a successful image of my c: drive,
which is made up of two SATA Raptor drives on a SIL Raid 0 (Gigabyte 8INXP),
I find this program cannot restore the image. If I try it in XP, it can't
get around the services; if I try it outside of XP, it sees only the
separate disks and not the RAID drive. Folks at Acronis say they have
support for some RAID controllers but apparently not the SIL 3112.

Anyone out there know of a drive imaging program that will support the SATA
Raid controller on these Gigabyte boards? Ghost? True Image?

Thanks!

Helen

Old August 22nd 03, 01:08 AM
Mark Taylor

Hello Helen

I do not use this combination but did have an issue with the various imaging
packages such as Ghost 2003, Drive Image 2002 & Acronis not recognising my
RAID and SATA drives correctly. I now use Powerquest Drive Image version 7
which not only images directly within XP but the recovery console aka DOS
type interface if you cannot boot your system also sees all of my RAID &
SATA devices as well as my external USB2 drives and Firewire (IEEE1394) DVD
burner. When you first run the recovery console it is very much like
installing XP and it asks you to press F6 to install RAID or other mass
storage device drivers. This is a great program as I do not need to reboot
into DOS to do images etc and I also have it scheduled to do them regularly
so I don't have to do it manually.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Old August 22nd 03, 06:14 PM
Helen Chevy

Mark:

That was *exactly* the information I was looking for and hoping to get
before making the jump to Powerquest. Acronis really left me in a jam since
it made a great image of my SATA, which suggested it would restore it. But
clearly it does not, and the manufacturer, after taking a week to give me a
straight answer, has now admitted this. The F6 option makes all the sense in
the work.

Thanks again!

Helen