Front Panel Audio hook-ups A7V8X-X

Old February 18th 05, 02:52 AM
DGD

Default Front Panel Audio hook-ups A7V8X-X

I purchased an ASUS A7V8X-X as a replacement motherboard. I am trying
to connect front audio panel mounted in a 5.25 bay insert plate and use
the front panel audio connectors that are on the motherboard. I am
having some difficulties in establishing the correct pin outs to
activate the front panel audio connections without affecting the
motherboard's rear audio connectors. I want the front panel audio
primarily for connecting up headphones to listen to music.

The front panel audio panel has a 6 channel audio interface cable with
the following pins to be connected to the motherboard (the pins are
individually terminated):

Mic-R
Mic-L
Front-R
Front-L
Rear-R
Rear-L
Gnd
Bass
Center

The front panel has 4 audio jacks as follows:

Mic IN
Front Out
Rear Out
Cen/Bass

I would simply like to activate the Front Out audio jack to hook up a
set of head phones.

The A7V8X-X motherboard front audio pin connector has 9 pins identified
as follows:

Mic2
MicPwr
Line Out_R
NC
Line Out_L
AGND
+5VA
BLine Out_R
(no pin)
Bline Out_L

The default connections on the motherboard as received have Line Out_R
jumpered to BLine Out_R and Line Out_L jumpered to Bline Out_L.
Removal of either of these jumpers kills the sound on one of the stereo
channels from the rear audio outputs on the motherboard without any
front panel connections being made. Removing both kills the sound on
both stereo channels from the rear audio outputs on the motherboard
without any front panel connections being made. I have a set of stereo
speakers and separate sub-woofer connected to the rear panel audio out
jack.

I attempted to make the following front panel audio connections to the
mother board front panel audio connection

Front-R to Line Out_R
Front-L to Line Out_L
Rear-R to BLine Out_R
Rear-L to Bline Out_L
Gnd to AGND

The SoundMax audio configuration program was set to "Stereo
Speakers"

With this set up I expected to get audio from headphones connected to
either the front panel FRONT OUT or REAR OUT audio jacks. I only
received a single channel on either, no stereo.

Can you tell me what the pin-out connections should be so that I can
get 2 channel output on the front audio panel FRONT OUT or REAR OUT
audio jacks? Thank you for your assistance.

DGD

Old February 18th 05, 04:21 AM
Paul

In article .com, "DGD"
wrote:

[...]

Asus motherboards generally support the Intel FP_AUDIO
interface. The front panel audio is expected to have
"return lines", which are missing in your case. When
the front panel audio is not being used, the blue
jumper plugs function as the return lines. You need a
way to continue the return line function. That means
you'll need a way to connect Line_out_R to Bline_out_R and
Line_out_L to Bline_out_L. One way to do this, would
be to extract two strands of wire from some lamp cord,
and wrap a length of wire around the pairs of pins. Leave
enough room on the pins, to allow the Front-R and Front-L
wires to be connected to the header.

Mic-R
Mic-L
Front-R ------ Line_out_R ------ Bline_out_R
Front-L ------ Line_out_L ------ Bline_out_L
Rear-R
Rear-L
Gnd ---------- AGND
Bass
Center

An easier solution, is to find an Asus J-Panel, which is a
device that fits in a drive slot, and it has a nice cable
that plugs right onto the FP_AUDIO header.

http://www.office-trade.com/pdf/B99Z429.pdf

I haven't seen a jumper wire product, to make it easy
to make the connections I've diagrammed above. If you
want something more reliable than the suggestion to wrap
wire around the pins, this web site has some odds and ends
you can use to make a cable assembly. You'll still need
a source of wire.

http://frontx.com/order_c.html
_
__________________/ \ --- wire
! ! !
! | ! ! |-- CPX075-8
! | ! ! | Plastic Body
X x x

\__ (1) CPX076-2 \_\_____ (2) CPX076
Male pin Female pins

Basically, the assembly looks like a jumper plug, with a wire
trailing away from it with a male pin on the end of it,
suitable for connecting to Front-R or Front-L. The CPX076
items come in strips of 10, while the CPX075-8 is a single
item, and you need two of them, to make two cable assemblies.

HTH,
Paul