Doest fit on Asus EN6600 TD fits on an ASUS PGD2 Deluxe mobo??

Old December 2nd 04, 06:14 PM
chiwa

Default Doest fit on Asus EN6600 TD fits on an ASUS PGD2 Deluxe mobo??

Hey,

Does the graphic card Asus EN6600 TD GeForce fit on mobo Asus PGD2 Deluxe
(Intel socket 775)

mobo: http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...luxe&langs=09#

Graphic card:
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...eries&langs=01

Somebody advised me not to us an asus graphic card on an asus motherbord but
he didn't give a reason.
Can you guys advise me on this?

Thx!!!!

Chiwa

Old December 2nd 04, 10:54 PM
Jordan Petkov

These should be perfectly compatible. P5GD2 Deluxe (I guess this is the one
you mean, as I do not know about any PGD2) has a PCIExpress slot and the
card is a PCIe one.

I have made the same combination (ASUS Graphic card and mobo) and I have not
seen any problems so far.

It would be interesting if anyone around could comment on this.

Old December 3rd 04, 01:21 AM
Paul

In article , "chiwa"
wrote:

Hey,

Does the graphic card Asus EN6600 TD GeForce fit on mobo Asus PGD2 Deluxe
(Intel socket 775)

mobo: http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...luxe&langs=09#

Graphic card:
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...eries&langs=01

Somebody advised me not to us an asus graphic card on an asus motherbord but
he didn't give a reason.
Can you guys advise me on this?

Thx!!!!

Chiwa

Making graphics cards is not hard for the manufacturer. Nvidia or
ATI provide a "reference design" to Asus or other video card
manufacturer, and if the manufacturer sticks with the reference
design, then all the cards work the same.

There is little to distinguish video cards from one another.
Looking at the ugly heatsink fan assemblies should tell you that
the makers struggle to make them look different. Manufacturers
compete on price, and in order to do that, some of them may attempt
to use slower RAM or cut corners in other ways (like using a slower
GPU and overclocking it). For example, if you shop on the Newegg
site, the video cards have core clock and memory clock ratings,
and sometimes you can see differences between cards that are
supposed to be the same type.

Before you buy a particular manufacturer's card - like Sapphire,
MSI, Asus, Connect3D - search Google using the cards model
number. Include the word "problem" in the search, and see what kind
of trouble users are having. Newegg has reviews posted by customers,
and in the past, there have been video cards where the users found
them to fail after about three weeks of use. Those are the
brands to avoid (and Newegg stopped carrying those models, so
they could get rid of the negative reviews on their web site).

Motherboard design is a bit different, in that "reference designs"
are provided by the chipset makers like Intel, Via, SIS, Ali, ATI
Nvidia, but there are more changes made to the design by the
individual motherboard makers. The quality of the BIOS design
and the quality of the documentation makes a difference. As
do the included accessories in the box, or the peripherals
included on the motherboard (RAID controllers, Firewire, etc).
There are also subtle changes to board layout, power conversion
design and the like, that can make the difference between
broad stability and compatibility, and crash city.

As a result, there are more significant product differences
between motherboard makers, than there are differences between
video card makers.

In buying a video card, I would place more emphasis on reports
of failures or under-rated RAM on certain cards, than the name
of the company making them.

As for the interface on the video card, whether it is AGP
or PCI Express - in years past, the Northbridge on certain
chipsets was notoriously bad at certain transfer rates.
The problem was, some of the chipsets were poorly designed,
and the AGP interface could not function at the rated speed.
This meant much pain for the customer. Some companies, like
Via, Sis, and Ali, have never been forgiven by their customers,
as a result of some of these bad chipsets.

With the current generation of AGP motherboard (AGP 3.0 spec
8X boards, for example), things are much better. There are
fewer reports of compatibility problems at the hardware level.
This is due, in part, to the use of smaller geometry silicon,
like 0.13u or 0.11u, for the chipset. While you should still
check Google, to look for any negative trends for a given
motherboard or video card, in general you can expect them to
work better than in the past.

I have no idea whether the PCI Express x16 interface is
maintaining this level of compatibility for customers or
not. I would hope lessons learned during the AGP era,
would be used to good advantage on PCI Express. Only
time, and Google archives, will tell the whole story.

HTH,
Paul