Asus P4P800 Deluxe - RAID controller

Old January 21st 04, 12:26 PM
DevilsPGD

Default Asus P4P800 Deluxe - RAID controller

I'm looking at an Asus - P4P800 Deluxe... Thoughts?

Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how the RAID controller works,
can I create a couple RAID-1 arrays (one using two SATA drives, and
another using two IDE drives) at the same time?

I'm having trouble finding any details which discuss this issue.

Thanks in advance!

--
They'll say, 'You can't joke about rape. Rape's not funny.'
I can prove to you that rape is funny. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd.
Old January 21st 04, 02:31 PM
Snøøp¥

Hi,

I just got the Asus P4C800 Deluxe board, and you can setup RAID on both SATA
and IDE, as you, I cannot really find
out any info for the P4P800, but this is not saying it is not possible.

Hope you find the info you need.

--

Snøøp¥

Cut ¬THE CRAP¬ To Reply

Checked by McAfee anti-virus system www.mcafee.com
Version: 7.03.6000 Scan Engine 4.2.60
Virus Database: 4313 - Release Date: 07/01/2004

Old January 21st 04, 05:53 PM
DevilsPGD

In message "Snøøp¥"
did ramble:

I just got the Asus P4C800 Deluxe board, and you can setup RAID on both SATA
and IDE, as you, I cannot really find
out any info for the P4P800, but this is not saying it is not possible.

Cool, thanks! I saw some notes that mentioned "RAID on up to 4 IDE
ports", which my bitter marketing-bull****-translator turned into "Might
not support RAID SATA".

Any complaints about the board?

--
Ah, the miracle mile, where value wears a neon sombrero and there's not a single church or library to offend the eye.
Old January 22nd 04, 07:48 AM
Neil McNaughton

"DevilsPGD" a écrit dans le message de
In message "Snøøp¥"
did ramble:

I just got the Asus P4C800 Deluxe board, and you can setup RAID on both

SATA
and IDE, as you, I cannot really find
out any info for the P4P800, but this is not saying it is not possible.

Cool, thanks! I saw some notes that mentioned "RAID on up to 4 IDE
ports", which my bitter marketing-bull****-translator turned into "Might
not support RAID SATA".

Any complaints about the board?

I'm in the middle of trying to do this - as stated in another thread - you
need to copy the promise raid controller to floppy. Also some tweaks
necessary to the BIOS setup (at least for SATA - which is what I am
trying) - explained in board manual.

Now I have passed the first 'copying files' stage of intalling XP - but
after reboot and installing a few drivers the system crashes with a blue
screen and message saying windows has stopped installing to avoid damage to
the machine!

I am wondering if the P4C800 Deluxe has peculiar requirements of memory - I
already had to remove one mem module to allow the thing to boot - maye both
are duff or out of spec for the board?

Old January 22nd 04, 08:50 AM
DevilsPGD

In message "Neil McNaughton"
did ramble:

I'm in the middle of trying to do this - as stated in another thread - you
need to copy the promise raid controller to floppy. Also some tweaks
necessary to the BIOS setup (at least for SATA - which is what I am
trying) - explained in board manual.

Now I have passed the first 'copying files' stage of intalling XP - but
after reboot and installing a few drivers the system crashes with a blue
screen and message saying windows has stopped installing to avoid damage to
the machine!

I am wondering if the P4C800 Deluxe has peculiar requirements of memory - I
already had to remove one mem module to allow the thing to boot - maye both
are duff or out of spec for the board?

Are they in dual channel configuration? If you turn off dual channel
mode, does it help?

(I'm not sure if you can do this via the BIOS, but if not, just
reorganize the RAM)

--
Stop cleaning your ears with screwdrivers, lest you loosen the screws
holding your tiny brain in place.
Old January 22nd 04, 10:20 AM
Neil McNaughton

[...]

I took one out and am installing with a single 512 meg module - still with
the probs above..

Neil

Old January 22nd 04, 02:53 PM
DevilsPGD

In message "Neil McNaughton"
did ramble:

Are they in dual channel configuration? If you turn off dual channel
mode, does it help?

(I'm not sure if you can do this via the BIOS, but if not, just
reorganize the RAM)

I took one out and am installing with a single 512 meg module - still with
the probs above..

What sort of RAID configuration are you using? If it's RAID-1 (mirror),
perhaps try breaking the mirror and turning off RAID for the moment, see
if you can get things going on just one drive.

If so, you can probably install the drivers from within Windows, then
recreate the mirror and see if you're good to go -- I had to go through
this with a Highpoint RAID controller on one of my servers a couple
weeks back.
--
They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken
Old January 23rd 04, 04:15 PM
Neil McNaughton

[...]

It's RAID (0) striped for performance. Don't really want to install OS
unstriped - don't see the point..

Am going to look at the memory issues first.