update method BIOS 1014 for P4P800 deluxe

Old February 1st 04, 04:04 PM
Ice D

Default update method BIOS 1014 for P4P800 deluxe

I'm updating the BIOS on a new system with P4P800 deluxe mobo tomorrow,
never flashed mobo BIOS before. I have a question about the method of
updating

There seem to be several methods for updating the BIOS on ASUS mobo's:

1. EzFlash
(however the latest BIOS readme says:
"Please do not use Ezflash for updating this BIOS", so there you go)

2. Asus LiveUpdate
(generally not recommended)

3. Aflash
(don't know much about that)

4. Afudos
(using bootfloppy, recommended method)
---

I'm going to use the Afudos method, got my instructions from this forum:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...threadid=51592

The idea is that you boot to a DOS boot disk, preferably PC DOS instead of
WINXP boot floppy. The utility found on that forum to make a DOS boot disk
didn't work for me however, so I just made a regular WINXP boot floppy. Is
that ok too?

Next, the Afudos file. I downloaded 'p4p81014.zip' from ASUS, which contains
two files: AFUDOS.EXE and P4P81014.AMI. The forum says:

"FINAL BIOS FILES
When you download a new FINAL bios file from Asus once unzipped you will
find it is an exe file. All you need to do to flash this bios is boot to
PC-Dos, then with the final bios on another floppy insert it and run the exe
file...it will flash automatically"

So I have made floppys, one bootable, one with just the two BIOS files on
it. I plan to boot to the first floppy, get it out, put the other floppy in
(BIOS), and type: afudos [enter].

I expect everything to go smoothly like this.

But would this work ok? According to another site I found, you have to
rename
the 'P4P81014.AMI' to 'P4P800.ROM', or something like that (I didn't
understand the method described there,
http://www.techsupportforum.com/comp...ic/7734-1.html)

Cheers,

Ice D

Old February 1st 04, 04:37 PM
Navid

"Ice D" wrote in message
[...]

First, keep in mind that many people recommend to flash the BIOS
if something is wrong with your computer. They say to leave it alone
if everything is fine.

That said, if you want to flash the 1014, Just create an XP MS-DOS
start-up disk by placing a floppy in the drive and right clicking on the
floppy drive on "My Computer" and selecting "Format".
In the new window that opens, select the startup disk choice and hit
"Start".
Then, copy the afudos and bios files to the same floppy.
With this floppy in the drive, reboot.
In DOS, type afudos with no arguments.
A message comes up giving you the correct syntax.
This time follow the syntax and place the name of the BIOS file in place
of filename. You do not need to rename anything.

Old February 1st 04, 04:42 PM
Navid

"Navid" wrote in message
om...
"Ice D" wrote in message
[...]

After you flash, you need to go into the BIOS and load the defaults
for the newly added settings to be initialized. Then, you can change the
settings the way you want.
The reason I flashed 1014 was to not get a beep for every connected
USB device at boot. I flashed, and it still beeped!
I loaded the defaults and it stopped beeping.

Old February 1st 04, 04:53 PM
Maximus

"Navid" wrote in message
om...
"Navid" wrote in message
om...
"Ice D" wrote in message
[...]

I use the Asus Update program because the BIOS 1014 for P4P800 DLX
is NOT recommended to be updated by EZ-Flash. Read the recommendation.

That was the first time I use Asus Update, but it is OK. Much simpler than
EZ-Flash.

If you feel not sure, do NOT use the Afudos program to update,
because ANY mistake will make your board almost surely dead.

Max

Old February 1st 04, 04:56 PM
Ice D

"Navid" wrote
"Ice D" wrote

[...]

Ok, that's the way I'm doing it. I've read somewhere that the correct syntax
is:

afudos /iP4P81014.AMI

Can you confirm that?

After you flash, you need to go into the BIOS and load the defaults
for the newly added settings to be initialized. Then, you can change the
settings the way you want.
The reason I flashed 1014 was to not get a beep for every connected
USB device at boot. I flashed, and it still beeped!
I loaded the defaults and it stopped beeping.

Thanks for the advive, I will load defaults right after I've flashed (those
beeps are my main reason to update as well, very annoying! ;-)

Ice D

Old February 1st 04, 05:04 PM
Navid

"Ice D" wrote in message

"Navid" wrote
"Ice D" wrote

[...]

Please don't get me wrong. But, I will not confirm the syntax. I don't
want
my memory hiccup to result in your computer turning into a plant-stand or
door-stop!
The safest thing to do is to type afudos with no arguments. It will give
you
the correct syntax. Nothing else will happen. You can even hit
Ctrl-alt-Del
right away and get out without flashing.

Old February 1st 04, 05:16 PM
Ice D

"Navid" wrote
"Ice D" wrote in message

Ok, that's the way I'm doing it. I've read somewhere that the correct

syntax
is:

afudos /iP4P81014.AMI

Can you confirm that?

Please don't get me wrong. But, I will not confirm the syntax. I don't
want
my memory hiccup to result in your computer turning into a plant-stand or
door-stop!

But then who am I going to blame when it all goes horribly wrong? ;-)

The safest thing to do is to type afudos with no arguments. It will give
you
the correct syntax. Nothing else will happen. You can even hit
Ctrl-alt-Del
right away and get out without flashing.

I got it, just 'afudos' with nothing else, and the syntax will appear on the
screen.

Cheers again,

Ice D

Old February 1st 04, 05:22 PM
Ice D

"Maximus" wrote

I use the Asus Update program because the BIOS 1014 for P4P800 DLX
is NOT recommended to be updated by EZ-Flash. Read the recommendation.

That was the first time I use Asus Update, but it is OK. Much simpler than
EZ-Flash.

If you feel not sure, do NOT use the Afudos program to update,
because ANY mistake will make your board almost surely dead.

I will keep it in mind, but I'll probably go the afudos way now. There seem
to be quite a few differences of opinion about BIOS flashing, but at one
point you have to decide which method is best. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine.

Ice D

Old February 3rd 04, 01:52 PM
Ice D

- for the record -
Just confirming that the BIOS update went fine, using a bootable floppy wth
afudos and the BIOS file copied to that. At the prompt I gave the command:

afudos.exe /iP4P81014.AMI /n /pnbc

I made a backup of the old BIOS first on another bootable floppy first
(containing startup files and afudos.exe) with the command:

afudos.exe /oP4P800.ROM

(as described he
http://www.techsupportforum.com/comp...ic/7734-1.html)

Thanks again,