Problem out of box with P4P800 SATA Raid Controller

Old January 9th 04, 04:50 AM
Tim Roy

Default Problem out of box with P4P800 SATA Raid Controller

In the BIOS I don't have the (OnBoard VT6410 RAID Controler" to enabled)
listed in advanced and onboard device configuration. Do I need a sata drive
plugged in to see this?? I also never see the controller in device manager
and the intel application accelorator rai dedition refuses to install since
the controller is missing. I have the latest 1014 bios installed. What am
i missing? Is there a jumper on the mobo i need to set or is my sata
controller shoot right out of the damn box.

Old January 9th 04, 05:49 AM
Ken Fox

"Tim Roy" wrote in message
.. .
In the BIOS I don't have the (OnBoard VT6410 RAID Controler" to enabled)
listed in advanced and onboard device configuration. Do I need a sata

drive
plugged in to see this?? I also never see the controller in device

manager
and the intel application accelorator rai dedition refuses to install

since
the controller is missing. I have the latest 1014 bios installed. What

am
i missing? Is there a jumper on the mobo i need to set or is my sata
controller shoot right out of the damn box.

Hi,

The Via Raid controller has nothing to do with SATA drives; it only works on
2 separate IDE channels. If you want SATA RAID, as I understand it, there
is limited support but only from the Intel ICH5 onboard chip. The foregoing
is a response to your subject line, not the text in your post.

I never looked at the bios listing for the Via RAID controller before I had
drives on it, so I can't comment on whether it always shows up or only when
drives are installed on those channels. I can tell you that the listing for
the controller in the bios is very easy to miss. I forget which screen it
shows up in, but I think it is one of the subscreens of the 2nd page, under
"onboard devices" or some such. You have to click on that line in order to
get the subscreen that shows it, and then you have to look at it before you
really are sure you saw it -- as I said, it is easy to miss. My hunch is
that this option appears in the bios regardless of whether or not you have
drives attached to the VIA controller.

I had similar experience with the drivers you mention but in the end it
never mattered. You could try reloading those drivers after you get drives
on the channel if you are concerned.

Good luck.

ken
p.s. I had bad luck with 1014. Did your board come so equipped or did you
flash to it? If you flashed to it this could be contributing to your
problems, although I can't say I know for sure that this bios is bad.