Asus P4T533 Memory 3200 or 4200?

Old December 11th 03, 03:28 AM
Mike

Default Asus P4T533 Memory 3200 or 4200?

I need to upgrade to 1 gig, so I need 2 512meg modules. I'd like to get
1066, like I have now (512), but I see it's 4200 only. The manual says 4200
needs a 533mhz bus processor, but I have a 2ghz, which is 400mhz bus. The mb
only has 2 slots.

Will this work?

Old December 14th 03, 04:03 PM
Barry Watzman

RIMM4200 ***IS*** PC1066 memory.

RIMM3200 is PC800.

The naming convention was changed, but that's the way it is.
Officially, the "PCxxxx" nomenclature is used for 16-bit wide 184-pin
modules, the "RIMMxxxx" nomenclature is used for 32-bit wide, 232-pin
modules. There is a lot of misues of this in the field, however.

RIMM4200 / PC1066 memory is backwards compatible and will run with a 400
MHz CPU as well as with a 533 MHz CPU. However, the cost of buying a
2.26 / 2.4 / 2.53 or 2.66 GHz 533 CPU, offset by what you get for
selling your current CPU (on E-Bay), will be minimal and will give you a
significant performance boost.

The biggest problem is that 512 meg RIMM4200 modules, while available,
are terriffically expensive.