a7n8x network problem using win98 fe

Old November 30th 03, 09:54 PM
Stefan Jaeger

Default a7n8x network problem using win98 fe

Hi,

would You please try to give me some advice?

I've got the a7n8x non-Deluxe-version and it runs fine with winxp.

I'am using win98 fe by xp bootmanager with the same system.

By reading Your posts i managed to set up most drivers for the win98
os, but I don't was able to setup the onboard nic (no probs when using
winxp).

Device manager tells something about ...ntkern.vxd wasn't able to load
device drivers (code 2)... .

At google i can't find any workaround. At a nvidia forum i looked
around someone told, win98 fe would not be able at all to load all
needed drivers, but gave no reasons for his statement.

Is he right (and why do the drivers for other devices work)?

Any idea to solve that prob?

If win98 fe cannot handle the drivers for that nic; arn't there any
other (generic?) drivers that will do the job? I've read something
about a GenMac(?) driver but could not figure out what that will be?

If You can, please help.

Thx

Stefan
Old November 30th 03, 10:00 PM
Ben Pope

Stefan Jaeger wrote:
Hi,

would You please try to give me some advice?

Yeah.

I've got the a7n8x non-Deluxe-version and it runs fine with winxp.

Good.

I'am using win98 fe by xp bootmanager with the same system.

Fine.

By reading Your posts i managed to set up most drivers for the win98
os, but I don't was able to setup the onboard nic (no probs when using
winxp).

Which one? The 3Com or the nVidia?

I have links to drivers he
http://www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html#Drivers

Which driver version are you attempting to install and on which NIC?

Ben

Old December 1st 03, 06:01 AM
Jim

He snuck that "non-Deluxe" in on you. It only has the Nvidia/Realtech lan.

Is the device showing correctly in device manager ? Have you tried removing
the device and reinstalling it over again ?

Old December 1st 03, 08:11 AM
Ben Pope

Jim wrote:
He snuck that "non-Deluxe" in on you. It only has the Nvidia/Realtech
lan.

You're correct... I saw "A7N8X", I saw "Deluxe" I just didn't see "non" :-P

Ben

Old December 1st 03, 09:40 PM
Stefan Jaeger

"Jim" wrote in message news:zOAyb.377752$Fm2.394673@attbi_s04...
He snuck that "non-Deluxe" in on you. It only has the Nvidia/Realtech lan.

Yap.

Is the device showing correctly in device manager ? Have you tried removing
the device and reinstalling it over again ?

Thx for your interest so far.

Device manager shows the *nvidia nforce MCP Networking Controller* in
*nics*,but with the known yellow exclamation mark.

Properties show the above adressed error message.

Driver info shows, that the file provider is microsoft(?).

Trying to update drivers points to 1. install the recent driver (which
does not work) or 2. shows an alternate driver, which requests to
insert *NIVIDIA nforce MCP Network Adapter Driver Disc 1*, but I
didn't get anything like that.

I've tried to uninstall the device and reinstall by using the hardware
assistent but wasn't sucsessful.

I've tried the 4 in 1 driver from the supplied cd, downloaded upgrades
from asus and nvidia; results see above *provider microsoft?*.

I think - if there is a suitable driver for win 98 first edition -
someone must be so patient to tell me, were to get it, where to store
it and on which file i have to point during installing the device.

Or is there a clue like making a win98scr-folder, which was needed to
install the other win98 drivers?

Thx a lot

Stefan
Old December 1st 03, 09:53 PM
Ben Pope

Stefan Jaeger wrote:
Thx for your interest so far.

Device manager shows the *nvidia nforce MCP Networking Controller* in
*nics*,but with the known yellow exclamation mark.

That'll be the problem then!

Properties show the above adressed error message.

Driver info shows, that the file provider is microsoft(?).

Trying to update drivers points to 1. install the recent driver (which
does not work) or 2. shows an alternate driver, which requests to
insert *NIVIDIA nforce MCP Network Adapter Driver Disc 1*, but I
didn't get anything like that.

Well the drivers don't officially support versions of Windows prior to 98se,
I'm not aware of which drivers do/do not work.

All I can suggest is to extract the platform drivers and attempt to install
manually... when it asks you to insert the disk, point it to the directory
you created by extracting the .exe.

I'd recommend obtaining a copy of 98se and installing that if you need to
stay with win9x.

Ben

Old December 3rd 03, 08:15 PM
Stefan Jaeger

"Ben Pope" wrote in message ...

---Schnipp---

Well the drivers don't officially support versions of Windows prior to 98se,

I feared that.

I'm not aware of which drivers do/do not work.

All I can suggest is to extract the platform drivers and attempt to install
manually... when it asks you to insert the disk, point it to the directory
you created by extracting the .exe.

I will try that and report, if i made it.

I'd recommend obtaining a copy of 98se and installing that if you need to
stay with win9x.

Ben

Thank you, Ben.

Stefan