Abit RAID question

Old January 1st 04, 04:44 AM
John

Default Abit RAID question

Hi,
I have an Abit KR7A-133 motherboard with raid in my pc.I recently
conected a 10g spare hard drive which I had (UDMA 2) to the secondary slave
raid slot and have tried to use it to process a 4.5 g file using NTFS. The
transfer rate is pityfully slow and renders the raid drive virtually usless
(2 hrs plus). I am new to raid so am I missing something in the setup. I can
see the drive in explorer and can browse it (win xp).What kind of transfer
rates should I be seeing between say the primary master IDE and a raide
slave. Thanks in advance.....John.

Old January 1st 04, 05:08 PM

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 03:44:07 -0000, "John" wrote:

Hi,
I have an Abit KR7A-133 motherboard with raid in my pc.I recently
conected a 10g spare hard drive which I had (UDMA 2) to the secondary slave
raid slot and have tried to use it to process a 4.5 g file using NTFS. The
transfer rate is pityfully slow and renders the raid drive virtually usless
(2 hrs plus). I am new to raid so am I missing something in the setup. I can
see the drive in explorer and can browse it (win xp).What kind of transfer
rates should I be seeing between say the primary master IDE and a raide
slave. Thanks in advance.....John.

I just moved about 1.3 gigs from one HD to another one and it took
roughly 1 minute or so - I wasnt paying much attention so I may be off
a bit.

Use HD tach or some other prog to see if your HD is way way off - it
sounds like its way way off. Sounds like an old hard disk but it
should be THAT far off a new hd. Itll be slower but I dont think it
takes hours to move stuff around.

You sure you have the right Raid drivers installed?

When you say RAID you mean you just have it connected to the RAID
controller but not setup as RAID right? IF you dont have the proper
drivers installed it can act really weird.

That and memory made a big difference with my system going from 512 to
1 gig for large file transfers but it would slow it down anywhere near
what you are getting.

Old January 1st 04, 05:19 PM
John

I was thinking along those lines.......i.e. reinstall the raid drivers
(highpoint). Thanks for the info......mainly I needed to know if those rates
are way off.......and it looks like they are. I have RAID on another pc
(Abit mobo with 2.4ghz Intel) Maybe I will try on that one to check the
rates there......or if the disk is a bit dadgey. John