What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4GB data filesto DVD?

Old October 17th 04, 07:09 PM
David

Default What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4GB data filesto DVD?

What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4 GB data files to DVD?

I have a new HP Pavilion PC with a single layer 8X DVD burner. The
software that came with the PC is RecordNow 7.1, which successfully
burns small files at 8X, but when burning a single 4.0 GB file, the
verify option shows an error half way through. Attempting to copy the
file back to the hard drive also produces an error at the same point.
Running "FSUM.exe" also aborts and shows the file size as only 2 GB.

I use Memorex 8x 4.7GB 120 min DVD+R. I've checked HP’s web site for
firmware updates to the DVD burner; there are none. The burner shows up
in software as a NEC ND-2100AD. It burns DVD movies with no problem.
The basic problem is burning 4.0 GB files.

I tried using Nero, but keep getting the Power Calibration Error before
any data is written to disk. I tried turning off XP’s CD IMAPI
services, as suggested. No joy.

After ruining about 8 disks in a row, I tried CopyToDVD, and lo and
behold, it WORKED! Unfortunately, there is no verify option in
CopyToDVD, so I had to use FSUM.exe to verify the 4 GB file was
identical to the source file.

My issue now is that if I want to verify a burned DVD that has many
files, using FSUM.exe instead of a verify option in the burner software
is not a reasonable alternative.

Is there another burner package I can try that might work well to burn
large (4 GB) files to DVD? I don't mind paying up to $50 for a package,
and am glad I gave Nero a test drive before finding that it wouldn't
work on my system.

It seems as though correctly copying large files requires the inclusion
of a feature for UDF 1.02 support, which CopyToDVD has, and which I
enabled . What other s/w has that feature? I've read lots of negative
stuff about Roxio's s/w so not sure I want to install that one…

David

Old October 17th 04, 08:26 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

You may have run into the 4G file size limit of FAT32:
http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/Art...803/38803.html

Old October 17th 04, 09:00 PM
David

no. the file is on an NTFS partition! the issue is the authoring
software options...

david

. --------------------------------------

Old October 17th 04, 11:51 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

How to... write a 2GB or larger FILE to DVD
http://www.nero.com/us/ns4_631939469946227.html

"Important Note: The ISO standard does not allow any *FILES* over
2gig in size to be written. So to write a FILE over 2gig in size
to DVD, you must use the DVD-ROM (UDF) format."

Old October 18th 04, 02:08 AM
Dave Cohen

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:09:16 -0700, David wrote:

[...]

snipped
Funny, I am reading this post at same time I ran into same problem.
Imaged a partition using bootitng and tried to create a dvd from winxp
using their utility bingburn. Done this dozens of times before to
regular burner. Failed when using my new external LiteOn DVD
burner,image size was 4gb. Re-imaged to make 2gb chunks and works fine,
so looks like there is a problem with 4gb. I am using ntfs. Bingburn
will burn as many chunks to dvd as will fit, so at very worst the
problem could cost me an extra cd. I noticed when I imaged directly to
dvd from within bootitng, it created two 2 gb files plus an extra file
and took one dvd and a 700mb cd.
If you have the hd space, see if you can cut the file into 2 chunks
using winzip. You'll just have to experiment.
Dave Cohen
Old December 9th 04, 05:39 AM
The Q

Hi,

I have an interesting story

I got HP Pavilion with XP home on it and a Toshiba DVD+R burner and I
wrote 5 DVDs with digital pictures.

Well, all of them I could write just fine but only one I can read on
the laptop .

I can read all of them on my desktop.

So far the only think I can say is that the one I can read has a size
of 4.15Gb. The others are over that. What do I do ? Is the data really
safe on those 4 I cannot read on the unit wrote them ?
What to you think!?

TIA,

Software to control PCI/AGP divider possible? zmike6 Overclocking AMD Processors 1 April 2nd 04 10:52 AM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
CD Writer/ DVD Writer software on new build HMSDOC Homebuilt PC's 0 October 29th 03 12:01 PM
UPS and Software Howard Homebuilt PC's 9 October 26th 03 03:19 PM
Is There a "Reburn"-Type Software? JamesDad Cdr 5 October 7th 03 10:01 PM