Windows Xp freezing

Old September 26th 04, 03:54 PM
Bun Mui

Default Windows Xp freezing

Initially when I turn on my computer.

It works ok.

But once I click into a lot of folders and view files or
open programs and use Nero 6 burning software. In time
it starts slow to repond and eventually freezing the screen and
I have to re-boot to start over again.

I do use Winmx and Windows Media player.

I try scanning with updated ad-aware and AVG software and
try everything to get rid of all the spyware , virus and worms.

Right now none shows up, but I still get slow reponse and
complete freezing eventually.

Any advice as to what I should do?

Thanks.

Bun Mui
Old September 26th 04, 04:12 PM
Charlie

"Bun Mui" wrote in message
om...
Initially when I turn on my computer.

It works ok.

But once I click into a lot of folders and view files or
open programs and use Nero 6 burning software. In time
it starts slow to repond and eventually freezing the screen and
I have to re-boot to start over again.

I do use Winmx and Windows Media player.

I try scanning with updated ad-aware and AVG software and
try everything to get rid of all the spyware , virus and worms.

Right now none shows up, but I still get slow reponse and
complete freezing eventually.

Any advice as to what I should do?

Thanks.

Bun Mui

I have used the same software for years without this happening. It
almost sounds like a memory issue to me. Have you checked to see what may be
running in the background? If you have a lot of software running, it could
cause a similar problem. What processor do you have and how much RAM?

Chuck

Old September 26th 04, 04:12 PM
pcbutts1

Don't open so many windows at the same time and don't try to do other things
on the computer while burning.

om...

Old September 26th 04, 07:31 PM
Mike Richter

Bun Mui wrote:

Initially when I turn on my computer.

It works ok.

But once I click into a lot of folders and view files or
open programs and use Nero 6 burning software. In time
it starts slow to repond and eventually freezing the screen and
I have to re-boot to start over again.

It appears that you have either insufficient memory or, more likely, a
severe memory leak. To diagnose the problem, use Task Manager to monitor
memory usage. If you find that available memory is drifting down, try to
identify the program that's causing it - i.e., leaking. Then look for a
later version and/or a replacement.

In my experience, Nero 6 does not have a leak and is not your likely
problem application.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old September 26th 04, 08:37 PM
Doug

As stated before possible memory issues, or..

Try HiJackThis proggie,
http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

scan, save the log, email it to me, ill take a look and see if there is
anything that can be removed to posibly improve or fix the performance on
your pc. It id very possible that your system is bloated with running tasks,
crap that loads with windows as well as crap loading with your browser.

Anyways worth a try,

// Doug

Old September 27th 04, 02:11 AM
marty

Bun Mui wrote:
|| Initially when I turn on my computer.
|| It works ok.
|| But once I click into a lot of folders and view files or
|| open programs and use Nero 6 burning software. In time
|| it starts slow to repond and eventually freezing the screen and
|| I have to re-boot to start over again.
|| I do use Winmx and Windows Media player.
|| I try scanning with updated ad-aware and AVG software and
|| try everything to get rid of all the spyware , virus and worms.
|| Right now none shows up, but I still get slow reponse and
|| complete freezing eventually.
|| Any advice as to what I should do?
|| Thanks.
|| Bun Mui

WinMX has a memory leak problem apparently caused by
its whois function not releasing resources, if you use leechhammer
it will cause your PC to freeze quicker due to frequent whois calls.
marty

Old September 28th 04, 04:07 AM
Bun Mui

"Doug" wrote in message ...
As stated before possible memory issues, or..

Try HiJackThis proggie,
http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

scan, save the log, email it to me, ill take a look and see if there is
anything that can be removed to posibly improve or fix the performance on
your pc. It id very possible that your system is bloated with running tasks,
crap that loads with windows as well as crap loading with your browser.

Anyways worth a try,

// Doug

Ok I got this from below

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [System Log Event] csrss32.exe
This same file is in vault in AVG program. Is this worm or virus that
is causing the problem?

I already scanned with an updated AVG already.

See logfile below. Thanks.

Bun Mui

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 9:32:20 PM, on 9/27/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\OPXPApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Expertcity\GoToMyPC\g2svc.exe
C:\Program Files\Expertcity\GoToMyPC\g2comm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Expertcity\GoToMyPC\g2tray.exe
C:\Program Files\WinMX\WinMX.exe
C:\Program Files\shooter\Shooter.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\awhost32.exe
C:\Program Files\Opera7\opera.exe
C:\downloads\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://www.mymanitoba.sympatico.ca/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,Shellnext =
wmplayer.exe //ICWLaunch
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} -
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5,1,1,0.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} -
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} -
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} -
c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no
file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} -
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus -
{42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton
AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion -
{EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program
Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5,1,1,0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GoToMyPC] C:\Program
Files\Expertcity\GoToMyPC\g2svc.exe -logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
/startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone
Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [System Update Service] wmiprvsc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [System Log Event] csrss32.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) -
http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/msgrchkr.cab
O16 - DPF: {03F998B2-0E00-11D3-A498-00104B6EB52E} (MetaStreamCtl
Class) - https://components.viewpoint.com/MTS...object=screen3
O16 - DPF: {11260943-421B-11D0-8EAC-0000C07D88CF} (iPIX ActiveX
Control) - http://www.ipix.com/viewers/ipixx.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D}
(MessengerStatsClient Class) -
http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...tatsClient.cab
Old September 28th 04, 06:38 AM
Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I emailed you back through your normal email, let me know how it goes with
the provided suggestion, any other problems afterwards let me know so we can
fix it..

// Doug

Old October 4th 04, 08:52 AM
optikl

Rod wrote:
"Bun Mui" wrote in message
om...

Initially when I turn on my computer.

It works ok.

But once I click into a lot of folders and view files or
open programs and use Nero 6 burning software. In time
it starts slow to repond and eventually freezing the screen and
I have to re-boot to start over again.

I do use Winmx and Windows Media player.

I try scanning with updated ad-aware and AVG software and
try everything to get rid of all the spyware , virus and worms.

Right now none shows up, but I still get slow reponse and
complete freezing eventually.

Any advice as to what I should do?

Thanks.

Bun Mui

You could have a hardware problem, i.e., a cooling issue or memory going
bad or a MB issue.