Asus P4C800 Deluxe - PATA RAID on only one cable?

Old December 20th 03, 08:53 AM
Noozer

Default Asus P4C800 Deluxe - PATA RAID on only one cable?

Well, I decided to pick up an Asus P4C800 Deluxe mainboard (two actually,
a -E and a non -E) and noticed something...

There is only one PATA connector for RAID. Does this mean to run RAID 0 on
PATA drives that they will share the cable? Won't this hurt performance? I
assume that it would still be faster than a single drive configuration... is
this correct?

Thanks!

Old December 20th 03, 07:33 PM
Noozer

"stacey" wrote in message
Noozer wrote:

Well, I decided to pick up an Asus P4C800 Deluxe mainboard (two

actually,
a -E and a non -E) and noticed something...

There is only one PATA connector for RAID. Does this mean to run RAID 0

on
PATA drives that they will share the cable? Won't this hurt performance?

assume that it would still be faster than a single drive

configuration...
is this correct?

I've read several people complaining about very high CPU usage when using
that via based raid controller.

Since when did VIA start making Promise chips?

The only VIA thing on these boards is the firewire.

Old December 20th 03, 10:45 PM
stacey

Noozer wrote:

"stacey" wrote in message

I've read several people complaining about very high CPU usage when using
that via based raid controller.

Since when did VIA start making Promise chips?

I was thinking about the P4P800 Deluxe.
--

Stacey
Old December 21st 03, 12:23 AM
kony

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:45:14 -0500, stacey wrote:

Noozer wrote:

"stacey" wrote in message

I've read several people complaining about very high CPU usage when using
that via based raid controller.

Since when did VIA start making Promise chips?

I was thinking about the P4P800 Deluxe.

I think you have nightmares about Via. ;-)

Not to discount your conclusion though, I wouldn't want high CPU
utilization on a RAID either.

Dave
Old December 21st 03, 01:05 AM
k_yhz

I read a review from MaximumPC mag (August issue) and they said that
board had the highest benchark score but there were a couple of
issues.
- 3com NIC uses slower PCI bus
- USB 2.0 performance poor
- CPU useage as hi as 50% using on board RAID (compared to 10% on
other boards); odd RAID set up
- might need extra fan for Northbridge over clocking as cooling seemed
inadequate
- seemed to run stabe at 1200Mhz FSB with a "C" processor
- onboard audio weak; some jacks are unuseable with 5.1 speakers

Now the board that interests me is the Asus P4S800D-E
- good overclocking all around (FSB and Proc. using air cooling)
- apparently Prescott compatible as well. I haven't done enough
research on it yet to know if they overcame the RAID problems.
Anyone have any exprience with this board?

Old December 21st 03, 07:44 AM
stacey

k_yhz wrote:

Now the board that interests me is the Asus P4S800D-E
- good overclocking all around (FSB and Proc. using air cooling)

No dual channel ram. That takes a serious performance hit. P4's LOVE memory
bandwidth. I went from an 845G to a P4P800 using the same 2.53/533 DDR333
chip and ram in both and saw a BIG performance gain going to a dual chanel
board.

Stacey
Old December 21st 03, 05:08 PM
RanMan

I have this mobo and I'm trying to get the raid setup. I have two maxtor
20gb drives and can not get my system to recognize them.

The controller and disk drives are in the device manager, but I can't access
these drives via any file management program.

I've tried all four raid options and nothing seems to work, yet the
controller and whatever raid settings I try are listed in the device manager
under disk drives.

any suggestions?

Old December 21st 03, 05:10 PM
RanMan

By the way I have one set as the master and the other as the slave on the
first controller cable and in the correct order.

Should both drives be formated and partitioned prior to this use?

Old December 21st 03, 07:25 PM
Noozer

"RanMan" wrote in message
By the way I have one set as the master and the other as the slave on the
first controller cable and in the correct order.

Should both drives be formated and partitioned prior to this use?

You can't use ANY drive (even a floppy) unless it has a filesystem on it.

Since the drives appear in the device mangler they are probably working
right.

If you are using WinXP/2000 you can use the disk manager to partition and
format the drives. FDISK and FORMAT will be fine for lower Win/Dos versions.