With P4C800 Deluxe I don't need to add Ata Driver System?

Old June 24th 03, 04:27 PM
Fogar

Default With P4C800 Deluxe I don't need to add Ata Driver System?

I'm sorry I am an ignorant person about PC and I'd like to know:
if I use P4C800 Deluxe motherboard I don't need also Adaptek Ata
Driver Sistem Raid 1200A? P4C800 Deluxe has integrated it?
Thanks Fogar
Old June 24th 03, 04:36 PM
Surfer

Hi,

Yes I think you are right, has intergrated raid.

Ben.

Old June 24th 03, 06:17 PM
Fogar

Hi,
thanks for you news.
I need three HD:

1) "C" 80 Gig with OS
2) "D" 80 Gig only for deposit of music
3) "E" 120 Gig for editing. There will avi files

Will it sufficient to use only Asus P4C800 Deluxe or do I need to add
also Adaptec ATA RAID 1200A?
Thanks very much Fogar

"Fogar" wrote in message
I'm sorry I am an ignorant person about PC and I'd like to know:
if I use P4C800 Deluxe motherboard I don't need also Adaptek Ata
Driver Sistem Raid 1200A? P4C800 Deluxe has integrated it?
Thanks Fogar

From the Adaptec site:

"Adaptec ATA RAID 1200A Support

This 32-bit PCI ATA/100 RAID card is targeted for entry-level
servers, workstations and rackmount servers using ATA hard
drives. The two 40-pin connectors support up to 4 drives with
a maximum transfer rate of 100 MB per second per channel. Supports
JBOD and RAID Levels 0, 1, and 0/1"

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...eluxe&langs=01

P4C800 Deluxe - Storage

South Bridge:
2 x UltraDMA 100
2 x Serial ATA
Promise 20378 RAID controller:
1 x UltraDMA 133 support two hard drives ----
2 x Serial ATA
RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, Multiple RAID

The difference is, you can place two ordinary IDE drives on the
Promise 20378 UltraDMA 133 connector, whereas you can use four
disk drives on the Adaptec 1200A. So, if you only plan on using
two disks, then the P4C800 Deluxe will work fine.

You can also purchase other IDE RAID cards, such as those made
by Promise or Highpoint. Many of those will also support 4 disks.

On the P4P800 Deluxe, instead of the Promise 20378, there is a
Via 6410 that supports 4 ATA drives. So, this is two more
parallel ATA drives than the P4C800 Deluxe.

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...eluxe&langs=01
ftp://www.asus.it/pub/ASUS/mb/sock47...800_deluxe.pdf

Storage

South Bridge:
2 x UltraDMA 100/66/33
2 x Serial ATA, RAID 0 (Microsoft Windows XP only)
VIA6410 RAID controller:
2 x UltraDMA 133 support four hard drives
RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, JBOD

You have many options :-)

Paul

Old June 24th 03, 06:45 PM
Spammy Mchammy

Depends on type drives (SATA/ATA) and RAID config (0,1, 0+1, etc.) you plan.

If all drives are SATA, then take two 80gb drives and plug in to SATA for
RAID 0; then use SATA to ATA converter and attach 120gb drive to ATA
connector. Vice versa if all drives are ATA.

For what I see as far your plans, you've no reason/way to go RAID as your 2
80gb drives will show as one drive in RAID 0 which means you can't seperate
OS on one, then music on other.

Besides RAID 0 is not very secure and not particularly fast (vice RAID 0+1,
but that requires 4 similar sized drives).

RAID info:
http://www.storagereview.com/welcome...ew.com/guide20
00/ref/hdd/perf/
{click to "Summary Comparison of RAID levels" if you want brief overvies}
http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html {Summarizes RAID 0}

With the drives you've got, I'd suggest stay out of RAID. Otherwise, if
deadset for RAID: 120gb for OS, the RAID 0 for 2 80gbs (store all AVI/music
there, but only 80 gb avail tot).

Good Luck!

"Fogar" wrote in message
I'm sorry I am an ignorant person about PC and I'd like to know:
if I use P4C800 Deluxe motherboard I don't need also Adaptek Ata
Driver Sistem Raid 1200A? P4C800 Deluxe has integrated it?
Thanks Fogar

From the Adaptec site:

Old June 24th 03, 09:54 PM
David H. Lipman

Fogar:

Have read the minimum requirements for the video capture sub-system ?

PC Minimum Requirements
---------------------------
2 free PCI V2.1 Slots
Dual 450MHz Pentium III CPUs
256MB RAM
AV rated hard disk drive (10MB/sec min. sustained transfer)
CD-ROM Drive
Windows XP, Windows ME or Windows 2000 operating system
Microsoft® IntelliMouse® or compatible
Graphics card with hardware DirectDraw overlay

Reference
http://www.canopus.com/us/products/d...ofessional.asp

At $4,4000 for the DVRex, don't skimp on the platform.

It requires a "DUAL CPU" motherboard and AV rated disk sub-system. A P4 2.8GHz
motherboard is not the same as a Dual PIII/450Mhz. You seem to be looking at
SINGLE CPU systems !
You posted about max. 100MB/s disk subsystem. You need to make sure it can
provide a sustained 10MB/s data-stream. Not burst. I strongly suggest SCSI.
At least a U160 SCSI hard disk and an Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller.

Dave

Old June 24th 03, 10:05 PM
Fogar

When I have read your post I was very worried, but the PC Minimum
Requirements is for DVRex RT Professional.
I have a DVRex RT no professional and I think one processor is ok.
I hope. You can tell me something?

Old June 27th 03, 09:54 PM
BNR

Hyperthreading(HT) makes a solo P4 a multiprocessor system, theoretically,
with only 1 chip, physically. Just make sure your OS is WinXP and you have
a HT P4. Goodluck.

"David H. Lipman" wrote in message
Fogar:

I don't see anything but DVRex RT Pro doscumentation.

Can you point to a URL to support that it only requires ONE CPU ?

Dave